BB ($54.35)
      UTG ($19.50)
      UTG+1 ($56.05)
      Hero ($51.25)
      BTN ($50)

Dealt to Hero A:spade: 9:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $2, BTN calls $2, fold, fold

FLOP ($4.75) J:diamond: A:heart: A:diamond:

Hero bets $3.50, BTN raises to $8.50, Hero ?

no read on villain. he just sat on the table.

if i shove i will get called only by better hands. call flop and bet on non diamond turn, or c/c non diamond turn is better. i really dont like it because he will play perfectly his draw in this way because if the turn is not a diamond he will check behind
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Sticky spots like that obviously have no great line for you to take, but as you said some lines are still better than others.

Given that it's almost his first hand on the table and he's already raising a paired board while not representing much (bigger aces are likely to 3bet preflop if he's decent, which he seems to be given his 100bb stack and that his raise size makes sense on the flop). So his range is flushdraws, some big aces, maybe some smaller aces. I would probably call the flop and

- time down a bit on a diamond turn to make him think if have a decision before checking to him, and then fold if he bets anyway. I think you can somewhat increase the chances of him not betting again with another ace by making him think you could have hit the flush.

- check a blank turn and call if he bets again.

Whether i call a shove or not on another blank river will generally be totally up to the feel i get from his timing when he does it. Against a decent player we only beat a bluff at this point so i probably wouldn't call without a read. But since he's unknown and already all-in after only a few hands, he might still be doing that with a worse Ax as well as a bluff, so i don't think we can fault calling in that case.

Hope it helps.