[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH: TT overpair flop | 8J trips on the river

• GandalfPK
      GandalfPK
      Bronze
      bad call here on the river? i tought that with A high he could do that move too so..

Known players:    
      SB:
      $3,88
      Hero:
      $6,51

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with T:heart: , T:club:
      4 folds, SB calls $0,03, Hero raises to $0,30, SB calls $0,25.

Flop: ($0,60) 2:club: , 6:heart: , 6:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0,40, SB calls $0,40.

Turn: ($1,40) Q:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1,40) Q:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $1,30, Hero calls $1,30.

Final Pot: $4,00

preflop i try to steal cause i had the note that they didnt defend the blinds too often

good call on the river? i thought that with trips i had the best hand in that spot, but JT can had me beaten and that hand is on the pf range of the callers

Known players:   
      SB:
      $10,74
      BB:
      $12,99
      Hero:
      $5,00

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with 8:heart: , J:diamond:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0,20, SB calls $0,18, BB calls $0,15.

Flop: ($0,60) 9:heart: , 8:spade: , 6:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $0,15, Hero raises to $0,50, SB folds, BB calls $0,35.

Turn: ($1,60) Q:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1,60) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1,00, BB raises to $2,29, Hero calls $1,29.

Final Pot: $6,18
  • 2 replies
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Hand 1

Pre-flop: Why such a huge raise? Just raise it up to the standard 20c.
      Flop: ok

Turn: I'd just bet out again. It's unlikely that Q helped him. I'd play bet/fold here because I want to know where I'm standing. You don't know if the SB actually has a Queen now and by checking behind here you're indicating that you were either c-betting the flop with air or that you didn't like that turn card.

River: This is exactly why I think a 2nd barrel on the turn is a good idea here. You have no idea if your Tens are good and imo you kinda have to call here for the very reason you mentioned... people make these kind of plays with Ace high on this board at NL5. Then again, the bet is pretty high and I think you're often gonna see a better hand here.

Hand 2

Pre-flop: Unless you've got stats of both players folding their blinds 90%+ I would just fold this hand. Generally people just don't fold on NL5 and regardless J8o is just garbage tbh.
      Flop: I'd just call here and to see what happens I think

Turn: ok I guess. A hand like A9 is probably check/calling you to showdown here so I don't think I'd bet the turn either.

River: I'd probably bet the river to... I think you'll still see hands like A9, K9 calling you there. Afterward you also have to call his raise I think, I wouldn't be very happy calling but the odds are just too good to fold.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Please try and post only 1 hand per thread unless they are related, it's easier for everyone to discuss.

I don't mind the big preflop raise if you think that guy will call anyway, bloating the pot in position with the likely best hand is fine.

You can probably bet the turn again for value against him, he will still call with worse overpairs and probably with any pair, maybe even A-high again. If you get raised you're probably not good and have to fold.

As played on the river, if you have seen him be aggressive before you sort of forced yourself into calling by checking behind the turn. Fishes sometimes have trouble reading double paired boards and bet with A-high or try to take you off whatever you have just because you checked. I'd call expecting to be good a decent amount of the time.

I don't mind the steal preflop is you know these guys folds a lot. Keep in mind tho that every time somebody call and you fail to win the pot postflop with a cbet, you lose about 5x what you win every time they both fold, which means it can easily be unprofitable unless they fold A LOT.

Two schools of thought for the flop, some people always raise that small donkbet no matter what their hand is, others try and keep the pot small with bottom pair. Just calling is definitely easier unless you feel comfortable with raising these bets, as it always puts you in a bloated pot with a marginal hand, which means you need to be confident in your postflop skills to handle these situations.

I see no reason to bet the turn, and when he checks again on the river betting for value is fine. When he raises i think he can still have something like 87 or Q9, even tho you will see JT somewhat often i think you have to call.

Hope it helps.