[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH: A8o Resteal monocolour flop and top pair on the river

• GandalfPK
      GandalfPK
      Bronze
      reraise preflop cause i can't let him take the blinds with a miniraise with my A8o what is a decent hand here, so x4
      on the monocolour flop i raise the pot like i do in this spots cause they want to call more than often, on the turn i keep betting the pot maximizating fold equity and get a call, so in the river im commited and with that A i bet what lefts from my stack

Known players:    
      Hero:
      $5,23
      BU:
      $12,77

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:club: , 8:spade:
      3 folds, BU raises to $0,10, SB folds, Hero raises to $0,40, BU calls $0,30.

Flop: ($0,82) 6:spade: , 4:spade: , 5:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,80, BU calls $0,80.

Turn: ($2,42) 4:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2,30, BU calls $2,30.

River: ($7,02) A:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1,73 (All-In), BU calls $1,73.

Final Pot: $10,48
  • 2 replies
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      If you've got stats on the guy indicating a high steal % and a decent fold to 3bet % then 3 betting is ok here but plz don't make these kind of plays without stats... You're out of position post-flop and A8o isn't what you can call a fantastic hand. Without stats this is a definite fold imo.

I often see people making these sort of min-raises from the BU just to still get some action on their big pairs. And the way I look at this hand you're just getting valuetowned. Not so much cause of what you're doing pre-flop but because of the way you're completely overplaying your hand:

Flop: Ok. C-bet indeed, cause you're the pre-flop aggresor and for a hand without spades it's hard to continue here. But c-bet smaller imo (~55-60c), don't bet so much, you've got air.

Turn: Check/fold. Why do you put so much money in the pot here with absolutely nothing? If the guy doesn't fold on your potsized flop bet in a 3bet pot he's definitely not gonna fold on this turn 4... what you're doing here is just spewy. Might as well just send the guy a cheque...

River: As played you have to shove of course since you're commited. But you should never end up in this spot in the first place.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

You should indeed avoid restealing without a decent idea of how your opponent is playing, especially with hands that are garbage (not suited, easily dominated..). If you like restealing, prefer some hands that have at least some value and decent playability postflop.

Betting pot all the way just isn't useful, especially against a guy who's minraise/calling preflop, as he probably doesn't care about his odds to draw. Even if he did, what are you protecting ? You don't have a hand, only 8-high flushdraw which won't be good even if you hit it together with a gutshot which might not even be good right now. Just c-bet normally because it's a scary flop for him and give up unless you improve.

Hope it helps.