"I have to leave"

• Octhellior
      Octhellior
      Bronze
      How do you react when in an MTT someone at the table says he/she has to leave, and goes all in every single hand?

Do you take a chance and call with an ace rag, or do you tighten up and wait for a pocket pair or another strong hand?
  • 4 replies
    • SallaMC
      SallaMC
      Bronze
      I think this will depend on many factors:

1. my position at the table - am I closing the action or not?

2. mood of the other players- do I want to end up in a 4 way pot because others get impatient?

3. my M-factor - am I short stacked and need to double up myself?

4. Tourney stage - are we at the bubble or in the money, etc...

Ask yourself those questions and once you got them answered you will be able to make a reasonable decision on whether or not a call with 27o or A5s makes sense or not.

I hope I could be helpful

Best regards, Sebastian
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      well you know his exact range so it's not hard to make good desitions. I agree with all the factors above except the bubble one since we shouldn't care.
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Calling is always dangerous!! My other half recently had a baby and the night she went in to labour (slow) I was playing a tourny... I said I had to go, told everyone my hands and proceeded all in. I took out at least 6 players with absolute trash and ended up just having to leave and let my stack get blinded away... I would never call without top 10% of hands.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Even if you know your opponent has 72 and you got A4, do you really want to put your tournament life at risk with "just" 65:35 advantage? He'll go all-in every hand anyway, you can wait for a good pp to call him.

I've had several cases in a SnG where a player, once he's in the money (or sometimes HU) says he has to leave and pushes every hand. Generally, I believed that until the exact same player signed up for the next SnG right after, and did the same thing once he was HU against his opponent (I stuck around to observe). I guess some people just do it because they don't know how to play 3-handed/HU. Although I've also seen some people raise/push and the next hand they get QQ+, say "I have to go" and push to get callers.