Quiz Of The Week: Why Do You Bet And Raise?

• awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Hello fellow strategists!

Most players here probably play a lot of poker. After some time, you start recognizing certain patterns in the game and - without noticing - some degree of routine and automatism finds its way into our game. While this helps with multi-tabling, it also slows down the evolution of our game.

This week's quiz deals with one of these situations; do you still think about why you bet and raise in pots? Or do you just do it out of habit? Re-aligning your thought process to consciously process the reasons behind your actions on each occasion will help you to refine your game.

Test yourself now in this week's edition of our quiz:

Our previous NL edition of the quiz of the week is available here:

• 6 replies
    • Alafoe
      Alafoe
      Bronze
      Question 3:

Which one of the following betting types inherently and fundamentally isn't part of the value bets group?

the protection bet (0 Points)
      the semi-bluff bet (0 Points)
      the information bet (1 Points)

Your answer the semi-bluff bet (0 Points)

a.) the protection bet

The protection bet fulfills the purpose of protecting a strong and the presumed best hand - as such, it also serves as bet to extract value from the weaker hands.

b.) the semi-bluff bet

With the word "bluff" making its appearance in the name, you could assume that you solely rely on fold equity, but this isn't the case for semi-bluff bets. You are betting with the hope of hitting your hand on one of the following streets, allowing you to extract further value. This means a semi-bluff bet can indeed be considered as some kind of value bet.

c.) the information bet

An information bet has the aim of keeping you out of bigger pots. You want to see where you're at by either taking the pot right away or giving up on it. In contrast to a semi-bluff bet, you don't have the motivation of extracting further value from weaker hands - an information bet thus never is a value bet.

This is my only question valued as false.

And I say you why. One time at the table I heard this statement "dont like semi bluffs cos they are loosing so much value". So in my opinion this is in fact true. That semibluffs are losing value as oposition to value bets where you are gaining value. In oposition probe bet is bet with something like ace hi or down pair. And you want to extract as much value as you can by this bet. I really think about it before answering this way. Am I wrong?
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alafoe

This is my only question valued as false.

And I say you why. One time at the table I heard this statement "dont like semi bluffs cos they are loosing so much value". So in my opinion this is in fact true. That semibluffs are losing value as oposition to value bets where you are gaining value. In oposition probe bet is bet with something like ace hi or down pair. And you want to extract as much value as you can by this bet. I really think about it before answering this way. Am I wrong?
      My opinion is that you bet for value when you are ahead.. and you want worse hands to
      pay you the most possible amount at the showdown.

With a probe bet, you do not know if you are ahead, so you can not bet for value,
      but by using the probe bet and getting the answer your looking for (you are ahead)
      then you start betting for value.

If you are behind, or do not know you are ahead, and your betting for value,
      its kind of an oxymoron, because what if your behind? then your paying someone else.....

I on the other hand should have stuck to the old addage with multiple choice quizzes.....

never change your original answer, I got one wrong, I really wanted to pick
      the multi wy pots getting large answer for semi bluffing, but I switched it because
      I was torn between two answers.....

Nice quizz... probably would have helped if I had read the article,
      but some times I like to try the quizz first to see how much I really do not know....

Only when I see the quizzes as a news article...
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      wtf is with the semibluff question? does this guy want to win a SMALL pot when he hits his draw???

when i seimibluff i usually want one of two things to happen: a) everyone folds, or b) as many people as possible call and i hit an out.
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kruppe
      wtf is with the semibluff question? does this guy want to win a SMALL pot when he hits his draw???
      Which question do you mean? The one about your semi-bluffs in multi-way pots?

If so, the answer is easy. In multi-way pots, you often get the possibility to play your draws the passive way with correct odds, so it's not really necessary to bet them. If you do semi-bluff, the risk is high to be caught in a raise, meaning the pot gets big too quickly - you certainly do want to build a pot, but you have more implied odds for your draw if the stacks that are left for each player are bigger rather than having most of it in the pot already. Of course it's true that semi-bluffs can also come in quite handy in multi-way pots and it's always a question of finding the right balance between pot building and keeping your implieds, but that's a more advanced topic and this is only a silver quiz :) .
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Originally posted by awishformore
      Originally posted by Kruppe
      Which question do you mean? The one about your semi-bluffs in multi-way pots?

If so, the answer is easy. In multi-way pots, you often get the possibility to play your draws the passive way with correct odds, so it's not really necessary to bet them. If you do semi-bluff, the risk is high to be caught in a raise, meaning the pot gets big too quickly - you certainly do want to build a pot, but you have more implied odds for your draw if the stacks that are left for each player are bigger rather than having most of it in the pot already. Of course it's true that semi-bluffs can also come in quite handy in multi-way pots and it's always a question of finding the right balance between pot building and keeping your implieds, but that's a more advanced topic and this is only a silver quiz :) .
      i think i disagree, but just to clarify: more players usually means less FE, so i would say the bigger number of players is what gives the semibluff less FE and makes it worse, not the future big pot.

and then there are some other points that you mentioned that support the idea that a bigger pot is bad, which i don't get. never thought about this *keeping your implieds so you still have implieds on the turn* concept. of course, if this concept is important, then to be precise, what matters still isn't the turn potsize, but the turn stack:pot ratio, or at least that's what i tihnk.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Hmm, the blockbet question.. I think there could be arguments made for blockbetting both against calling stations and aggressive players. One situation I think blockbetting is one of the best lines is when for example an obvious draw (flushdraw f.e) completes on the river, but you still want to squeeze some value out of perhaps a worse kicker (think you have AK and he can have a worse A often) and youre playing against a typical calling station - a blockbet will often get you value from the worse hands while even a calling station would raise his completed flush on the river.

Also, when I think aggressive player, I think someone who will raise my blockbet with a busted draw :tongue:

(obv making excuses for getting 7/8 :] )

Oh and I agree with the semi-bluff being a valuebet thing being a little bit far-fetched. It was possible to reason oneself into why info-bet is less a valuebet than a semi-bluff, but still, not so sure about calling a semi-bluff a valuebet.