Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $5,36
      BU:
      $6,49

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:diamond: , K:diamond:
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $0,16, CO folds, BU raises to $0,48, 2 folds, Hero raises to $2,40, BU raises to $6,49 (All-In), Hero calls $2,96 (All-In).

Flop: ($11,91) 8:spade: , 6:heart: , 5:spade:
      Turn: ($11,91) 2:heart:
      River: ($11,91) 2:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $11,91

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of deuces (Ad Kd)
      BU shows two pairs, aces and deuces (Ac Ah)

BU wins with two pairs, aces and deuces (Ac Ah)

my question : is it + ev going all in preflop with AK ? i am huge underdog against aces and 3:1 underdog against kings, and about 54:46 underdog against any pocket pair. but i make fold equity when i raise. so should i try to go all in preflop ?
  • 2 replies
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      The answer to your question includes some variables:
      (1) Your opponent's tightness - his range for going all in preflop.
      (2) Your image
      (3) Size of stacks - how deep the two of you.
      (4) Your position

(1) Some loose fish are willing to go broke with mediocre hands too like TT,JJ,AK
      which obviously increases your equity when going all in pf with AK.

On the other side Some tight regs (nits) are willing to go broke pf only with KK+ which obviously decreases your equity.

(2) Your image can affect your opponents range for going all in pf. If you have a tight image your FE increases when you 4bet. Thinking regs can give you credit for being tight and throw way the best hand preflop (They will respect you and throw away JJ,QQ which is the best hand pf.)

On the other hand if you have a loose image your opponents might loosen up their pf all in range which increase your equity.

(3) This is also an impotent aspect. When you are 200BB deep (or more) you should think twice (or more :) ) if you are willing to go all in with a hand that is a drawing hand after all.

(4) Some times calling IP instead of 4betting is a wise decision if you think that when you will hit your TP you can extract value from your opponent(e.g. get him to double barrel kings on an Ace High board)
      Being OOP usually you should prefer a 4bet to get FE since AK is a drawing hand and also it would be hard to extract value from QQ,KK hands on an Ace high board.

This was short , just trying to give some basic points to think about when you find yourself in theses spots in the future. Every hand is different, every opponent is different, Every spot is different. Use these variables smartly in every hand, don't base your decision just because the last time you took line x the hand ended with result y.

Good Luck,
      Maya.
    • kwedaras
      kwedaras
      Bronze
      Thanks, really helped.