[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH AJs

• kwedaras
      Known players:

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:diamond: , J:diamond:
      MP2 raises to $0,16, 3 folds, Hero calls $0,14, BB folds.

Flop: ($0,36) Q:diamond: , A:spade: , 5:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0,35, Hero calls $0,35.

Turn: ($1,06) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 checks.

River: ($1,06) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,28, MP2 raises to $0,56, Hero raises to $1,20, MP2 calls $0,64.

Final Pot: $3,46

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a flush, ace high (Ad Jd)
      MP2 shows a flush, king high (Ts Kd)

Hero wins with a flush, ace high (Ad Jd)

should i play agressive on the turn ? is my reraise size good on the river ?
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg

Without reads i think this is fine given that you have a pair to go with your flush draw. If you didn't have one, check/raising that flop would probably be better to take him off anything that isn't TPGK+.

On the turn against a bad player you can probably lead out, i doubt he will lay down top pair for just a bet even on a flush card, and if he has a redraw to the flush he will also call. All the other hands likely won't put any more money into this pot no matter what you do. Then lead out again with an average bet on a blank river, and a big bet on a diamond river.

As played on the river he either has a diamond or he doesn't, and he will call any amount if he has it. So I would lead out more, that way if he just calls i get more value, if he raises he has to raise more and i get more value, and i also get to 3bet even bigger for more and more value. Potting it into him might induce him not to raise a big diamond however, so i'd probably go with something like $0.75.

Hope it helps.
    • GandalfPK
      I think that cold calling pf with AJs in the SB without position is not a very good move, maybe a reraise would be better?
    • MaestroOfZerg

MP2 seems to have a rather tight raising range preflop and he is raising from UTG. Even tho you can expect him to flatcall worse hands because of his loose 30/13 stats, he will have a decent hand most of the time and you will end up a 3bet pot out of position without much of an equity edge, with a hand that will have average playability. What i mean by that is, if you flop top pair you won't be that confident in your kicker so you will have a hard time extracting value out of position, and if you don't flop anything, you'd better be sure you can take the pot down with a c-bet often enough or you will just be dumping money into him before giving up.

You'd have to look at his postflop stats to know if it's a good idea or not. The more he calls preflop and gives up to a c-bet postflop, the more you want to 3bet. If he doesn't call that many 3bet or it's impossible to make him fold postflop, prefer keeping the pot manageable.

Hope it helps.