This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] bad move or not

• shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $20.35
      CO:
      $15.95
      BU:
      $34.26
      SB:
      $23.94
      BB:
      $30.72
      MP1:
      $11.59
      MP2(Hero):
      $4.30

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A, J.
      MP1 calls $0.25, Hero raises to $1.50, 5 folds, MP1 calls $1.25.

Flop: ($3.35) 9, Q, 8 (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero raises to $2.80(All-In), MP1 calls $2.80.

Turn: ($8.95) Q (2 players)

River: ($8.95) Q (2 players)

Final Pot: $8.95.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, queens(A J).
      MP1 shows a full-house, queens full of threes(3 3).

MP1 wins with a full-house, queens full of threes(3 3).
  • 5 replies
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      Hi Shortfuse!

What are the stats of MP1 ? I think he must be fishy or you have a good note on him and you are isolating him? I like it, i do this as well against bad players with hands on the starting hands chart.

I would have raised to 1dollar preflop.

on the flop i would not have bet. When i isolate bad players I only continue with the hand on the flop if i actually hit SOMETHING doesnt even have to be top pair!

This is because those bad people we isolate have such a large range they could easily have hit something.

unless you have a good amount of hands on him and his fold to c-bet is high then of course do a cbet :)

nice isolation !
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      Originally posted by wowadvisor
      Hi Shortfuse!

What are the stats of MP1 ? I think he must be fishy or you have a good note on him and you are isolating him? I like it, i do this as well against bad players with hands on the starting hands chart.

I would have raised to 1dollar preflop.

on the flop i would not have bet. When i isolate bad players I only continue with the hand on the flop if i actually hit SOMETHING doesnt even have to be top pair!

This is because those bad people we isolate have such a large range they could easily have hit something.

unless you have a good amount of hands on him and his fold to c-bet is high then of course do a cbet :)

nice isolation !
      hi wowadvisor nice platinum!

i tried to play with elephant, but i can't see the stats because once i tile all the tables the figures are too hard to read! i also find the elephant also integrates the past hand onto the table (not sure if you know what i mean) but i find that annoying and admittedly have not been playing with stats:

1) at my limits, it's abc poker
      2) playing 9 (4 SSS and 5 BSS, then close each SSS once i double and swap for BSS) tables at a time and keeping track all these details can be hard (even though as much as half the same players are on all my 9 tables!)
      3) the hand sample range would have to be large for me to trust it, i only play 1 hour sessions thats around 50-60 hands so it can be detrimental if i rely too much on it
      4) most importantly, i can't even see it! i'm too comfortable with tiled tables

as for this particular play, i had a thought that he had a small-mid pair because he just flat called me. if he had a monster then he would try to put me all in preflop, as i only have the minimum buyin (playing SSS on this table as you can see) and if he had junk, he would fold.

i was very certain he had not hit the flop, they know that i'm a SSS player (from my buyin and the fact i play to the book)

now because he was first to act, he couldn't bluff as i already represented strength and could well have hit the Q or have an overpair, so that's why i think he checked as well as the obvious reason his hand was weak.

this opportunity rarely presents itself, and i felt the fold equity along with my number of outs would warrant this allin.

i didn't have a note on this particular player as such, but i knew that they knew how i would and should play (if you follow lol) so i went against the rules and decided to seize the opportunity as i had the image of a tight player

i have the idea whilst the strategies on here are brilliant (thank you pokerstrategy, without the $50 i would never have proven a strength to myself because i'm strapped for cash :P ), if everyone were to play by the book then nobody would win in the long run!

ok this post is too long

oh and as for the $1.50 preflop vs $1 i chose to raise it bigger because on these tables raising 4bb +limper is too low i feel it can be hard to isolate and to make sure i did, then i would raise it bigger. especially as i was in early position i would be happy with one or none callers!

you may have perhaps been too praising and complimenting because you believed i used stats, but i think was good move mainly because i was almost certain he had nothing and the fold equity and number of outs was too tasty :s_cool:
    • sm112
      sm112
      Black
      If you are sure about the call, then overbet rather with high pocket pairs and use a standard size isolation raise with hands like AJ+. You lose less when completely missed the board and probably win as much if you hit.

As played, no other way than shoving flop.
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by shortfuse
      hi wowadvisor nice platinum!

Originally posted by shortfuse
      i tried to play with elephant, but i can't see the stats because once i tile all the tables the figures are too hard to read!

I play in cascaded mode so tables popup into my view in bigsize when action is required. once i fold or raise or what ever then the next table pops into view, maybe try it see if you like it and helps your stats! :s_grin:
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey shortfuse,

if you have a read that this opponent is fishy then nice hand, although I would prefer to isolate to 1.25$ here. On the flop the shove is standard.

If you however don't have any particular reads nor stats and you only had a feeling of this player's looseness then I recommend to stick to basic SHC and not to deviate from it. Mistakes can be expensive.

Regards,
      burek2000