Allianz Arena or Stadium?

• Giggl
      Giggl
      Bronze
      Hi english mates, I need some help.

i have to conduct a presentation in two days about the allianz arena in english and i'm not sure if i can say allianz arena because it's a proper name or should i say stadium?

Another word where i'm not sure is the fan shop, it's club shop or merchandising?

thanks in advance

greetz
  • 6 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi Giggl,

Assuming you mean football yeah?

In England we refer to them as Stadium, e.g. the Allianz Stadium.

Arena's in England tend to refer to smaller venues e.g. pop concerts.

To give you a real life example (you can google), there is a Wembley arena (smaller, used for exhibitions & pop concerts) and also next door there is the larger Wembley stadium where they play football and (only) the largest of world tour type concerts.

In terms of the retail side, we call them club shops or club stores. The items for sale tend to be referred to as merchandising products, but the location itself is the shop. "fan shop" is ok too, but club shop/store more commonly used.

Hope this helps, any further questions, just shout, lots of Brits on here :)

Best regards,

Bart
    • LetchLord
      LetchLord
      Bronze
      Hi Giggl,

Pretty much all you have to do is google it.... I think that Allianz Arena is the whole name of the stadium, so I believe you can refer to it as the "Allianz Arena Stadium".

This might also be helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allianz_Arena
    • Giggl
      Giggl
      Bronze
      thanks for the answers

it's difficult for me to find the right word, of course i can google to find answers but i will get not only one correct answer. The reason why i'm asking is that i want to know how native speakers would say that.

I'm a little bit confused know, i know that you say stadium instead of arena but the i'm not sure if i can say only allianz stadium, it sounds a little bit strange for me.

I think the allianz arena is similarly to "old trafford" cause it's a proper name.
      Have you ever talked about a new stadium in munich? Did you say Allianz Arena although the english meaning for arena is different to the german meaning.

Another question, i want to say that the stadium is only for playing football and not for concerts etc. I found the word football-only stadium, is it ok?
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Seeing as Allianz Arena is the name of that stadium, it's fine to refer to it with Allianz Arena, no need for Allianz Stadium whatsoever imo.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hi Giggl,

Allianz Arena is a proper name so you would also refer to it as Allianz Arena.
      When not actually using the name though you could refer to it as being a Stadium though.

The first sentence of the Wikipedia entry puts it well into perspective:

"The Allianz Arena is a football stadium in the north of Munich, Germany."

As such whenever using its name you call it by the proper name "Allianz Arena" and anywhere else you would say stadium.

e.g. "Whenever Bayern Munich is playing at home the Allianz Arena is usually sold out. This is quite astounding, considering that the stadium has a seating capacity of ....."

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      I love PokerStrategy. No matter what problem you have you can come here for help.

And I think SoyCD gave the perfect answer :)