[NL2-NL10] Nl10 Kq

• Zyklox
      Zyklox
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (7 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP2 ($6)
      CO ($5.55)
      Hero (Button) ($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB ($2.45)
      UTG ($3.05)
      MP1 ($5.40)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K, Q
      1 fold, MP1 calls $0.10, MP2 (poster) checks, CO calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, 1 fold, BB checks

Flop: ($0.55) Q, K, 9 (5 players)
      BB checks, MP1 bets $0.10, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, 1 fold, MP1 calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.55) 8 (2 players)
      MP1 bets $0.70, Hero calls $0.70

River: ($2.95) J (2 players)
      MP1 bets $1.40, Hero folds

Total pot: $2.95 | Rake: $0.10

Results:
      MP1 didn't show
      Outcome: MP1 won $2.85

Did i play this right? The chances of him having a 10 was too large, and im pretty sure i made the right choice. I was trying to protect, but either he had the straight or a set already, so he called and raised anyways.
  • 2 replies
    • purpleshoes21
      purpleshoes21
      Bronze
      Raise more on the flop to protect your hand on this drawy board- around $0.75 maybe.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Don't be shy and raise it up preflop with position, your hand has good highcards value against the limpers (bad players !), and there is a lot of dead money in the pot already with 2 limpers+1 poster. You will often take it down right there or play a bigger pot in position against bad players with a hand that you can value bet relentlessly when you flop a top pair.

As played this is probably one of the worst boards to flop two pairs on with KQ, there are a lot of pair+gutshot hands out there, you need to protect your hand. Raise it around potsize, $0.8 is fine.

As played the turn card doesn't change much even tho it looks connected, JT already had you beat, if anything it might make a worse two pairs for MP1 with 98 if he called with that on the flop. I would raise again and probably call a shove given the odds against this halfstack guy, if he has JT or 99 so be it.

As played on the river the J is obviously bad for your hand, but given that he has been making these smallish halfpot bets all the way it might not have improved his hand at all, i'm more inclined to think his holding didn't change. I would expect him to wake up and bet bigger if something had changed. He might still have worse hands (flushdraws, worse two pairs, weird bluffs) and he's obviously bad, with 3:1 odds i would probably look him up, you don't need to be good that often here to show a profit.

Hope it helps.