[NL20-NL50] How do you deal with people who like to 3bet light?

• silent21
      silent21
      Global
      Say there's someone to your left who likes to 3bet you light preflop. Ie when you open EP, they 3bet u in position. When you open LP, they 3bet u from the blinds.

Suppose you have a hand like 66. Do you call and try to play a flop if it doesn't look too bad, do you 4bet, or do you just fold?

What if you have a hand like AT or KQ?

To me, all these options are teh sux. 4betting is spew. Calling will lead to me getting outplayed way too much of the time. Folding pre just plays into their game. I will not profit at a table if I fold 66/KQ.

Leave table, or learn to play the pokers?
  • 2 replies
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      calling sucks, folding makes you exploitable. The only option is leaving the table or 4betting light.

In order to 4bet light, I like to tighten up my opening range though. I stop opening marginal hands and open with hands that I can 4b AND get it in with. Of course I won't start opening QQ+, AK only. I'll have to be willing to get it in with 88, 99, AQ, etc.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

First, you must decide exactly what it is you want to accomplish. You do that by asking yourself why you are on that table to begin with. If there isn't a big fish somewhere on your right, it's probably not worth getting bullied by a 3bet monkey, unless you specifically want to get involved with him for learning purposes or something.

And secondly, you must determine what price you'll have to pay to get what you want, and then resolve to pay that price. There is no miracle solution to light 3betting, you need to accept the fact that you're gonna have to get involved in tricky spots/preflop variance fests to fight back somehow.

I usually tighten up a bit (read : stop opening every single playable hand i get) and just 4bet bluff once in a while especially out of position, and mix in some calls in position.

For the specific holdings you mentioned, I'm either gonna dump 66/AT or turn them into a bluff 4-bet, i don't think it's good enough to play postflop unless the guy is really going at it. KQ is a call/go with any pair postflop for me in position against those guys.

Hope it helps.