[NL2-NL10] TT on uncoordinated board (SSS - NL10)

• Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Just had my first session of NL ever (taking a break from FL because of a downswing - decided to play some NL sss while studying FL strategies once again). The first session actually went quite good - this strategy is easy to multitable, and few hard decisions (I will join the coaching tonight to learn a little more of the basics). In this particular hand I had a little hard time: It is quite marginal but with no draws and only one overcard, how to play it?

Known players:
      MP3:
      $11,80
      Hero:
      $1,85
      BB:
      $12,40

0,05/0,10 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grab'em by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with T:diamond: , T:club:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0,40, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0,40, 3 folds, BB calls $0,30.

Flop: ($1,25) Q:spade: , 2:heart: , 9:club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0,70, MP3 calls $0,70, BB folds.

Turn: ($2,65) 4:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,75 (All-In), MP3 calls $0,75.

River: ($4,15) 3:diamond:

Final Pot: $4,15

Thanks in advance
  • 3 replies
    • random3
      random3
      Bronze
      You have 2 options I think:

1) Your hand is not top pair and is considered "trash" on the flop. You are out of position and 2 opponents, meaning you have to check fold based on the shortstack strategy.

2) If you think you have the best hand, go directly all in on the flop, because your stack is too small to make bet that will scare away your opponent on turn/river

It wasn't updated on starting hand chart, but according to our SSS coach Alaton, TT should now be considered same as 99 preflop, so only raise from middle position on, and no reraising (Updated articles are coming some time in the future, but you can make this adjustment already yourself)
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      thanks for the update on TT preflop :)

1) might have been the better solution vs two opponents, and I certainly considered this opportunity alot.

2) Would maybe also be an opportunity, but if I believe i got the best hand i would like to extract some money from the opponents and spread my bets out so at least one of them will stay in the pot until showdown (=no AI on the flop)

I actually picked an option 3) as you can see (maybe it's crab but thats another story): Betting just over ½ pot to get some information/take down the pot (probably pretty bad with the SSS i admit since i'm more or less potcomitted if i get raised). I get one caller - hmm, not the worst scenario - it could mean low queen, 9, a pocket pair or maybe the straight draw (JT) - I'm ahead in most cases and can push in my last money with good conscience.

I hope to get more feedback - still got alot to learn with the SSS :)
    • random3
      random3
      Bronze
      With middle pair, I dont think its a good idea to try to slow play. If you cbet on the flop like you did, then it's probably best to check/fold to river and call small bet if he was on a straight draw. It's not an easy decision on the flop, but when you are not sure, its usually best to fold ;) .