Dealt to Hero A:club: J:heart:

Hero raises to $0.40, UTG+1 calls $0.40, fold, fold, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.95) J:club: 6:club: Q:heart:

Hero bets $0.60, UTG+1 calls $0.60

TURN ($2.15) J:club: 6:club: Q:heart: J:diamond:

Hero bets $1.40, UTG+1 calls $1.40

RIVER ($4.95) J:club: 6:club: Q:heart: J:diamond: 9:diamond:

Hero bets $2.50, UTG+1 calls $2.50

Bet river or check/call, if he raises river what do i do?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

If you check, he might check behind Qx or even a worse Jx if he is bad enough, or KK+ if he somehow decided to flatcall that preflop. All these hands will likely call a river bet from you. The only hands he will bet with himself are Jx, the unlikely KT, boats (that beat you) and busted draws (that might not even attempt a bluff, T9 might think it now beats a bluff from you for example).

Unless you can somehow put him on a missed flushdraw VERY often AND think he will bluff the river if you check to him, i would just bet out myself on the river for value, and make it bigger, probably something like $3.5 since i don't expect him to lay down Qx or Jx anyway, and busted draws won't call any amount.

He can only have a boat with 66/QJ/QQ/JJ and i would have expected most people to raise earlier with those hands given the texture of the board. If he raises the river I'd put him on some weird bluff with a missed draw induced by your half pot bet, or some worse made hands that he's overvaluing. He could have KT even tho it's a light call preflop and a light peel on the turn. I don't think we could get away from that hand with those odds.

If he shows you a boat or KT make a note on his play, to be able to recognize next time that he doesn't protect on wet boards or makes looser calls than expect preflop.

Hope it helps.