[NL2-NL10] NL25 QTs BU Called for value.

• elhh82
      $0.15/$0.25 No Limit Holdem
      10 players
      Converted at weaktight.com

UTG ($23.85)
      UTG+1 ($5.10)
      UTG+2 ($10.63)
      MP1 ($9.36)
      MP2 ($6.05)
      MP3 ($4.28)
      CO ($5.17)
      Hero (BTN) ($9.70)
      SB ($12.75)
      BB ($24.60)

Pre-flop: ($0.40, 10 players) Hero is BTN Q: T:
      UTG calls $0.25, 2 folds, MP1 calls $0.25, 1 fold, MP3 calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, SB calls $0.10, BB checks

Flop: Q: :3c: :4h: ($1.75, 7 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 bets $1.75, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.75, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds

Turn: :7s: ($5.25, 2 players)
      MP1 bets $3, Hero calls $3

River: T: ($11.25, 2 players)
      MP1 bets $3, Hero raises to $4.70, MP1 calls $1.36

Comments? Called preflop because they were 4 limpers! flop bettor had some bad donk stats. I put him on a Q. Could have been Q-whatever.
  • 6 replies
    • Tim64
      I don't mind the pf call with this many limpers but I'm not sure about the flop.

You're calling with suited connectors for a better flop than just top pair with a good - but not great - kicker. My advice is stick with the basics and checkfold in unraised pots unless you have 2 pair or better. QJ or QK are not unlikely holdings and you're in trouble against either.

However, if you believe your Q is good, I think the best thing to do is reraise mp1's bet all in.

Otherwise, if you just flat call and a K,A or :heart: comes on Turn, what do you do?
    • dandycal
      Call pre-flop is ok imo. But your top pair is no good against 6 opponents. As Tim said, QJ, KQ are not at all unlikely here. Not to mention that the board is drawy so you'd need to protect, which makes calling flop not an option.

It's either push or fold, in this case I'd go with the fold.
    • elhh82
      Yea in hindsight, i think a call here is the worst move possible. I just gain nothing. I will probably fold.

However, if i was holding QJs with at least another suited card on the board, i would push.
    • Termi8r
      Hi elhh82,

I would call for straight+flush value preflop. If I don't hit either posibilities and have only one pair I will try and see a cheap showdown.

• DaPhunk
      Interesting hand, I don't mind Calling Preflop.

On the flop does pushing not isolate you against the stronger hands in his donking range for 40 BB? I think thats completely un-necessery.

My line of thought leads me to think of a Call Flop Re-evaluate turn line is plausable If we believe he is a fishy midstack of course. If a Scarecard comes turn and he acts strong we can get away cheaply, If he doesn't bet we can float him or check for bluff induce and call a weak bet on river. If turn is blank and he bets strong again I guess its tough because calling flop to fold turn is pretty pointless I guess, kind of burning money and that is what I'm worried about, not so much that we arn't protecting as such.

I guess calling flop does give him a pretty easy read though that we are either on a weakish Q we don't want to push flop with or some sort of FD/Combo Draw, but I tend to think The fish I would call flop against arn't good enough to read hands.
    • Gerv
      Hi elhh82,

What you have to do preflop is thinking about what you want to flop for value. mostly with broadways, I either want to flop a draw or 2pair+, Toppair is tricky since your kicker might be inferior.

With a 40bb stack, you can just call him down as played. As played I found him ok as raising doesn't really make sense.

25NL players are just level 1 thinkers so he might have a Qx, the river brings you 2 pair which gives you the permission to shove :D

- Gerv