[NL2-NL10] 2 hands NL10 (SSS)

• Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Hand 1)

The first one is a topic i havn't read about yet - HU in unraised pots. I know from my FL experience that i should bet 100% of the times in such a situation, but what about NL SSS? - Here i even hit the flop pretty decent so i believe i had an easy bet.

Known players:
      Hero:
      $1,95
      MP3:
      $10

0,05/0,10 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grab'em by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:club: , T:heart: . MP3 posts a blind of $0,10.
      4 folds, MP3 checks, 3 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0,25) 8:diamond: , 2:heart: , K:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,20, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: $0,45

Hand 2)

Up against a train. UTG+2 has been AI preflop the last 6-7 hands i think (was just waiting for the perfect opportunity). How big an equity I should have before I decide to call his AI (and from which positions) - In this case I would put him on a 80%+ handrange. One can argue that any HU situation with above 50% equity is an instacall, but is this the case with the SSS to? As far as I understood the goal with the SSS was to avoid the most marginal situation. I have editted a little in this hand to avoid further confusion:

Known players:
      UTG+2:
      $9,14
      Hero:
      $1,70

0,05/0,10 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grab'em by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is BU with X, X
      UTG+2 bets to $9,14 (All-In), 4 folds, Hero raises to $1,70 (All-In), 2 folds.

Flop: ($10,99) 2:diamond: , 4:diamond: , 9:heart:
      Turn: ($10,99) 2:heart:
      River: ($10,99) T:club:

Final Pot: $10,99

Thanks in advance
      Mugge
  • 4 replies
    • random3
      random3
      Bronze
      1)
      Well in the sss articles it is advised, that when you have a freeplay, you only bet if you get tptk. In your case with top pair and good kicker, I think 1 bet and check/fold to river unimproved is fine.

2)
      Anything over 55% equity is usually an easy call/raise with a shortstack. But it is up to you if you are willing to accept the risk of losing your stack 45% of the time. You can higher your required % but then you are leaving money on the table over long run.
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Yes - ofc one can argue that 50+% is enough, but one of the main aspects of playing with the SSS is to avoid marginal situations (including coinflips) + we have to keep in mind that the players behind us can wake up with a monster (dunno how to make these calculations with PS :( ).

I guess i would try to aim for 60-65+% when calling to avoid the most marginal situations, but I'm open to other oppinions
    • random3
      random3
      Bronze
      There are 2 cases where you go all in preflop. Either its raised before you, or you get reraised.

If its raised before you, only raise with JJ+/AK (according to chart). Depending on their preflop raise range %, you can exclude JJ and AK if their pfr % is under 5-6% and their raise comes from early or middle position. Otherwise you are almost always favorite or at worst there is a coin flip, but there is nothing you can do about.

In other case, when you raise and get reraised, just follow the chart that is provided in one of the articles and reraise all in according to it. Chart
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      I know the chart, but for extreme situations it's not really useful - thats why i want to look at some equity calculations: I know I can't avoid coinflips, but if I go for higher equity (like 60%) I won't see them as often as if i just call as soon as I got the equity (51%). For instance against this villain (80% handrange) i will have ~60% equity when calling with this range:
      55+,A2s+,K5s+,Q7s+,J8s+,T8s+,98s,A7o+,A5o,K9o+,Q9o+,J9o+,T9o.

But maybe it's me who is wrong since I will try to avoid the most marginal situations - I'll let other people decide (don't mind the example - it was jus an example to show the situation - I will edit it now to avoid further confusion.

I got your stand now: 55%+ equity.
      My own: 60-65%+ equity.
      Other: ?