[NL2-NL10] 99 from CO

• imson0ob
      I would like to know if u go broke here or just call and see what develops.

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($26.71)
      BB ($9.80)
      UTG ($13.04)
      UTG+1 ($10)
      Hero ($15.93)
      BTN ($9.40)

Dealt to Hero 9:spade: 9:diamond:

fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.40, Hero calls $0.40, fold, fold, fold,

FLOP ($0.95) 3:heart: 5:spade: 2:club:

UTG+1 bets $0.60, Hero raises to $1.80, UTG+1 raises to $3.50, Hero raises to $15.53 (AI), UTG+1 calls $6.10 (AI),

TURN ($20.15) 3:heart: 5:spade: 2:club: 4:spade:

RIVER ($20.15) 3:heart: 5:spade: 2:club: 4:spade: Q:club:
  • 2 replies
    • michaelqian
      I think raise/fold here on the flop is a good play.

The re-raise probably means you are beat, so definitely no reason to go all in.
    • MaestroOfZerg

MP's range for open raising is probably rather tight, when he c-bet that board i expect him to have either whiffed overcards or some pocket pair.

Given that, two common lines are raising the c-bet folding to a 3bet, and just calling to reevaluate on the turn.

The first line is "for protection" against all overcards on the turn, but you likely won't get action from a worse hand against an opponent who's decent. It's almost raising for information, which usually isn't a good idea. Against bad players it's fine, they will peel with worse pairs and even overcards sometimes, like the A for a gutshot.

The second line is less comfortable for you to play as you can't really define your opponent's hand without thinking about ranges, but you keep the pot small and don't isolate yourself against better hands. When he bets the turn you can likely dump it, if it's a blank he probably wouldn't bet worse hands here again, and if it's an overcard you have to take a guess on whether that guy is capable of barreling scare cards or not. It's probably best to stay away until you pickup enough information to assess his turn tendencies.

Hope it helps.