MP2(Hero):
      $10.00

Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF/Hands)
      MP3 - 16/14/inf/215
      BU - 50/17/inf/24
      SB - 54/17/inf/24
      BB - 77/19/1.6/88, 3bet - 19.2

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J, J.
      Hero raises to $0.40, MP3 calls $0.40, CO folds, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.35, BB raises to $1.90, Hero raises to $9.60(All-In), MP3 folds, BU calls $2.20(All-In), SB folds, BB calls $8.00.

Flop: ($23.4) 7, 6, 6 (3 players)

Turn: ($23.4) 5 (3 players)

River: ($23.4) T (3 players)

Final Pot: $23.4.

Hi,
      I wonder if my decision to push was correct. I don't see any other good decision here. Here is my reasoning
      * Flat-calling seems to be a bad option, because it would be hard to play this hand in a 5-way pot without position and initiative
      * Folding the 4th best hand seems to be too weak
      * All the callers probably don't have QQ+
      * BB can have QQ+, but he's aggressive preflop, and with so much money in the pot he can be raising even more loosely
      * With a push, I can get $3.50 which are already in the pot (unlikely) or, if I get called, probably have a flip at worst
      * If I have a flip, it's still +EV with so much dead money
      * Such a high number of callers probably indicates that quite a lot of high cards are already dealt. This also improves my chances in a flip

After thinking about this hand, I still think my push was good. What's your opinion?

Thanks!
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

You can't put any of the overcallers on a better hand than JJ, so the BB is the only problem.

Given that he is a 77/19 with a 19.2% 3bet and that bad players love to reraise over that kind of action, i don't think you can ever fold that against him, you're just way ahead of his range.

Flatting is out of the question imo, we would likely get overcalled by these players and end up in a bloated multiway pot against ranges like { any pocket pair, any broadway }. More often then not with a bunch of overcards on the flop and/or somebody flopping a set, this would be a pain to play correctly.

That leaves raising, the only question is whether we should shove ourselves or 4bet smallish to give BB a chance to shove on his own. No matter what we do we're likely committed on any flop, but he probably doesn't understand that. You have to balance the chance that he will only call a 4bet and might fold on the flop, against the times when your shove scares him off. I don't think it would make a significant difference to that player, so i'd likely shove myself to ensure he gets his stack in if he wants to continue.

Hope it helps.