Measuring success at NLH

• Chomskyan
      Chomskyan
      Bronze
      I recently read a fantastic article by Daniel Negreanu in which he hammered home the importance of playing hours and not results. In my own 'career' I've seen the impact of this as chasing results has negatively influenced my mood and play, resulting in poor choices and decisions.

Being able to play long sessions with the attitude of playing the best poker possible seems by far the best mindset (as opposed to playing to win $X day/hour).

That said, I often read people writing about how much they make per hour or on this site the measure is used of BB/100 and question what a reasonable rate is. I don't apply the SSS rigidly but taking yesterday's performance as an example I turned in an average of around 20-30BB/100 (not specific as I was measuring the hours and not the hands I played over multi tables).

I appreciate that it's daft to say that you should be winning X, but are there guidelines that any experienced players/ coaches can offer as to average, good and excellent rates of BB/100.

I play at microlimits.
  • 6 replies
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      Well everyones opinion varies but I would say micro limits you should be looking at about 10bb/100 anything better is great, small stakes 7.5bb/100, mid stakes 5bb/100, high stakes, well I personally would take 0.1bb/100 at the nose bleed limits but I guy for someone playing NL1k 2bb/100 would be good? no idea about high stakes really maybe one day I will know it all!
    • Chomskyan
      Chomskyan
      Bronze
      Thanks for the response
    • drewmule
      drewmule
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alexd10
      Well everyones opinion varies but I would say micro limits you should be looking at about 10bb/100 anything better is great, small stakes 7.5bb/100, mid stakes 5bb/100, high stakes, well I personally would take 0.1bb/100 at the nose bleed limits but I guy for someone playing NL1k 2bb/100 would be good? no idea about high stakes really maybe one day I will know it all!

LOL this is pretty reaching especially with thr small/mid stakes. 7.5 and 5 equates to CRUSHING the game. look at pokertableratings.com for the biggest winners at those stakes
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      bb = big blinds here (I assume) -- that's rather good; it would take a lot of work to most players to reach that, but it's feasible
    • Alexd10
      Alexd10
      Bronze
      Originally posted by drewmule
      Originally posted by Alexd10

LOL this is pretty reaching especially with thr small/mid stakes. 7.5 and 5 equates to CRUSHING the game. look at pokertableratings.com for the biggest winners at those stakes
      I said imo a.k.a. In 'my' opinion, this means that those figures are what in my opinion are beating the game, there are a number of factors that come into it like different sites and different times of day to play but in general those figures are what i think are beating the game.

No one else had given the original poster any ideas....

also poker trable ratings is rediculously inaccurate

@swiss yep, in big blinds
    • drewmule
      drewmule
      Bronze
      PTR is not all that inaccurate, most players ive talked to says its quite close to the truth give or take 10-20k hands. but i was also thinking in big bets which would be absolutely crushing the game pro status. even so this in big blinds is very good.