[NL20-NL50] AK laydown. What do you think?

• staicu74
      staicu74
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $10.20
      CO:
      $10.15
      BU:
      $3.30
      SB:
      $12.35
      BB:
      $15.56
      MP2(Hero):
      $11.53

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A, K.
      Hero raises to $0.35, MP3 raises to $1.10, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.75.

Flop: ($2.35) T, 3, Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $1.65, Hero calls $1.65.

Turn: ($5.65) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks.

River: ($5.65) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.00, MP3 raises to $6.00, Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $7.65.

Preflop I made a standard raise and a NIT reraised me ( he is something like 16/7 with infinite AF and WTSD=0 over 40 hands). I only called, to keep the pot small and flopped the OGSD. I check-called and the bouard paired, he checked behind and I got the straight on the river. I had to choose between check-call and bet-fold. I chose to bet, since a raise would have probably meant a full house. While thinking, I timed out and folded, but I probably would have folded anyway.

What do you think and what would you have played?

Thanx
  • 3 replies
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      You can 4b and get it in pre flop. Although he is really tight, you don't have enough hands on him to constitute such a solid read.
      Once you called though, you should c/f flop. Chasing gutshots makes no sense, as you can't get paid off properly when you hit.

Now since you did hit on the river, you can't fold. You have to at least call his reraise. That raise doesn't have to mean a full house. It could actually be AA and KK as far as I know.
    • staicu74
      staicu74
      Bronze
      After I started the threas, I did some calculations:

I had 9 hands(out of 24) that beat me on the river (TT,QQ,JJ) and I would lose 4$, 9 hands out of 24 to chop(AK) and win about 4,4$ and 6 hands out of 24 that I would beat (AA and KK) and win about 12,5$ .

So, a call would have been profitable on the long run.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by caltabiano
      You can 4b and get it in pre flop. Although he is really tight, you don't have enough hands on him to constitute such a solid read.
      Once you called though, you should c/f flop. Chasing gutshots makes no sense, as you can't get paid off properly when you hit.

Now since you did hit on the river, you can't fold. You have to at least call his reraise. That raise doesn't have to mean a full house. It could actually be AA and KK as far as I know.

I agree mostly, you can do whatever you want preflop, but if you call, you have to c/f that flop. I'm not thrilled about calling the river raise tho, as it is this looks exactly like AK or JJ. I don't really get why he would check back KK+ on the turn, or even TT/QQ for that matter. Maybe he was "trapping" or pot controlling KK+ for whatever reason. Still, we're not folding.

Hope it helps.