[NL20-NL50] QQ UTG2 - nuts

• TheBrood
      Known players:

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with Q:diamond: , Q:heart:
      Hero raises to $1.75, 5 folds, SB calls $1.50, BB calls $1.25.

Flop: ($5.25) Q:club: , 5:diamond: , 5:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($5.25) 7:spade: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $3.50, Hero calls $3.50, SB folds.

River: ($12.25) 8:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $8.50, BB calls $8.50.

Final Pot: $29.25

How to extract most money? No hands on him when we played the hand.
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg

I think that when he bets the turn it's probably with a Q or complete air because nobody seems interested, i'd likely raise the turn because i think most unknowns wouldn't lay down top pair at this point.

If he happens to be a thinking player he will muck it because it's pretty clear you have the deck crushed, but then you're likely not getting much more out of him anyway.

Whereas against average players you can probably get them to call a turn raise with top pair and call a moderate river bet too to get to showdown.

Hope it helps.
    • BogdanDin7
      Why not bet/bet/bet here ? He can`t put you on a boat there , so you get 2 streets of value from missed fd , stack fd than hit , might even get 2-3 streets of value from 88-JJ , will stack off AQ and KQ by river probably and still get at least 1 street from Qx.

I think we are definitely losing value here by checking behind flop. Maybe one bluff but that about it , and since you would cbet that flop with almost all you range you should do it with nuts too imo.
    • MaestroOfZerg

This isn't bad either, but having the deck so crushed it's really hard for anybody to have anything to play with you mathematically, which means you have two choices.

The first one is betting out hoping somebody has the last Q, a rare 5x or a flushdraw, and then just continue to bet until they fold, which only a small fraction of the time they won't. The more your opponents think about your range, the more you wanna try that one, because they will also peel with pocket pairs figuring you never have anything, and if you check back the flop they'll know you have a lock. If they are also ultra aggressive, this is definite best choice because you will induce bluff raises against your air range, which pays better especially if they are willing to follow it up on later streets.

The second one is checking behind to let people either bluff at you with their air, which makes up a huge portion of their range, or catch a 2nd best hand that you can raise and stack later on, like a turned flush. This is usually best against moderately aggressive players that will give you credit for your cbet but will take stabs when nobody seems interested, and fishes who will interpret your flop check as weakness and never ever fold a turned top pair even to extreme action from you.

I just feel like against an unknown you have a better chance with the 2nd approach (if he was a thinking reg you would know him, you can't give him credit for either low aggression or very high aggression yet, etc), but both have merit.

Hope it helps.