Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $19.00
      BU:
      $14.00

0.5/1 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9:club: , 9:spade:
      7 folds, BU raises to $14.00 (All-In), Hero raises to $19.00 (All-In), BB folds.

Flop: ($34.00) K:diamond: , A:diamond: , 2:heart:
      Turn: ($34.00) T:heart:
      River: ($34.00) 5:diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $34.00

Any special rules for calling what appear to be sklansky pushes - without further reads (other than fact that we've seen villain sklanskying a few times before)?

Seems like we can either:
      1. treat as a steal and call with the range we'd normally 3bet with vs standard steal range (88+AT+) or
      2. Refer to the sklansky chart and repush with any hand that is x% above the minimum sklansky pushing hand. But if this, then what is 'x'?
  • 4 replies
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      99 is rather on the safe side here imo, so I push. In general I'd call this with 88+AJ+, but if I know the guy is pushing very loose, then I'll make necessary adjustments, depending on each case.

I'm not sure you should simply refer to the chart though, since you can't be sure villain is actually refering to it.
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Hi Tim64,

I tend to defend in the blinds with 99+ AJ+, unless the guy is a real rock that don't know about stealing. I would also call.

Cheers
      Termi8r
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Firstly, Easy Call with 99, nh :)

Secondly, I think this guy with quite tight ORL is likely not pushing anywhere near a normal openpush range especially with 14BB. He likely pushes maybe a tad wider than his normal stealing range just I tend to think they would raise JJ+ in this spot normally and quite possibly AK too.

If he steals wider like 20 to 30% then I start calling sklanksy shoves a lot looser by the actual chart. (Or I give them a looser version of Xylere's openpushing ranges) Some really Loose Charts exhist on 2+2 also which can give you a good idea of quite how loose some people can make these shoves.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey Tim64,

without any specific reads on villain using sklansky ranges, I would just refer to his ATS and play according to it(or use AJ+/88+ against unknown). However if you see at SD that he's pushing lightly then you can adjust your shoving range. Besides, if he pushes according to sklansky this just gives you an idea of his pushing range so you can adopt, but I wouldn't consider his pushing range sklansky range just because he's pushing, you need further reads.

For your 2. question, just put sklansky range for 14BB in the equilator and look for hands that have 50%+ equity against the sklansky range.

As played, nice hand. 99 is the nuts here.

Regards,
      burek2000