Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $126.64
      Hero:
      $69.80

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 7:spade: , 7:club:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, 2 folds, SB calls $1.25, BB folds.

Flop: ($3.50) K:spade: , K:club: , Q:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.00, SB raises to $4.00, Hero calls $2.00.

Turn: ($11.50) 2:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $3.50, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $15.00

fold flop since he looks passive?
  • 4 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

More then his passivity, what do you hope to accomplish with an underpair at this point ? Without a specific read you can't call him down with a 2 outer, you just don't need to get involved in those spots. Even if you indeed have the best hand right now, any card could give him the best hand even if he's bluffing with 98o or 22 and get you into trouble for a lot more money if you commit to catching him bluffing out of paranoia.

Just pitch it, remember his line and move on, you'll get way better spots to make money off him.

Hope it helps.
    • BogdanDin7
      BogdanDin7
      Bronze
      1.6 AF for a 68 vpip isn`t passive imo , but still no point in continuing here , just wait for a good spot against fish
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tamairlarace
      Hi,

More then his passivity, what do you hope to accomplish with an underpair at this point ? Without a specific read you can't call him down with a 2 outer, you just don't need to get involved in those spots. Even if you indeed have the best hand right now, any card could give him the best hand even if he's bluffing with 98o or 22 and get you into trouble for a lot more money if you commit to catching him bluffing out of paranoia.

Just pitch it, remember his line and move on, you'll get way better spots to make money off him.

Hope it helps.
      Problem is, I will lose a lot of money vs this type of player if everytime I raise pf, he calls, I cbet, he minraises, and then I fold to a tiny blockbet on the turn. He will win everytime I have less than TP which is most of the time.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Sure, why not take a passive line with your showdown value hands then ? If he likes to c/mr bluff the flop there's a decent chance he'll donk bluff the turn when you check behind, just bluff catch a bit to get a feel for his play in that spot. It's certainly cheaper than to start a calldown after getting minraised, plus since you don't push him off his air with a c-bet he'll show up with even more trash hands on the turn, giving him an even bigger incentive try and bluff with it.

You polarize your c-betting range between total junk you don't mind folding to a raise and strong hands you want value with, but that guy won't be able to exploit that, so it's not a problem. You'll also get outdrawn sometimes but it's nothing compared to being bluff off every pot.

Hope it helps.