Low blind short handed play

• saxemephone
      saxemephone
      Bronze
      Hi, I've somewhat recently started playing SnGs, currently playing $1.20s at stars (will move up as soon as BR allows because of high rake...)

I've been sticking to the starting hand charts and ICM, but one situation which shows up a lot at this level is that some people bust out fairly early and it is down to something like 3-5 players each with ~20bb-30bb stacks. The charts advocate playing quite tight which works well when the blinds don't come around often but when this happens I find I start losing chips fairly quickly. I try to adapt to the situation and find out what works against specific opponents, but I have a few questions:

1. Does this situation become less common once I move up a couple levels where there aren't as many idiots that go all-in first hand no matter what, or anytime they see a face card?

2. The blind structure is pretty slow (I used to play some turbos at full-tilt where this wasn't a problem) - would you recommend I play turbos at first so I don't have to deviate from the basic/bronze strategy content?

3. Are there any specific recommendations you have for playing in this situation?

Thanks!
  • 5 replies
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      1. Yes
      2. You have larger edge at normal sng's at those levels.
      3. Do exactly what you are already doing, adapt. You still should be bit tighter than the average player, because they are often too loose.

Oh btw, I recommend playing the double or nothings instead of normal sit and goes especially at low levels, the players are so bad it's not even funny. You can (and should) play only AA/KK before 75/150 (ok, you can play QQ, JJ maybe AKs at 25/50+) and let the idiots bust each other out. At 75/150 you can start pushing from late, people still can way too loose there, but you have to get some chips so push still pretty tight.

Everytime you see 0 showdowns you have won. Remember that. Calling is very wrong, often correct calling range is KK+. There are many bubble situations where you should even fold AA even though villain is pushing 100%.
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Too answer question 1: yes they dont do that nearly as often as on micro BUT they are much harder to play against, it's the peopel that go all in with crap that you wanna play against.
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Silver
      Originally posted by Anssi
      1. Yes
      2. You have larger edge at normal sng's at those levels.
      3. Do exactly what you are already doing, adapt. You still should be bit tighter than the average player, because they are often too loose.

Oh btw, I recommend playing the double or nothings instead of normal sit and goes especially at low levels, the players are so bad it's not even funny. You can (and should) play only AA/KK before 75/150 (ok, you can play QQ, JJ maybe AKs at 25/50+) and let the idiots bust each other out. At 75/150 you can start pushing from late, people still can way too loose there, but you have to get some chips so push still pretty tight.

Everytime you see 0 showdowns you have won. Remember that. Calling is very wrong, often correct calling range is KK+. There are many bubble situations where you should even fold AA even though villain is pushing 100%.
      What!? I never fold AA in a regular sng. Ok, maybe with 3 all-ins when it is 4 handed
    • whateverdude
      whateverdude
      Bronze
      Even with 3 allins when 4-handed I'd call with Aces, to improve my chances for first place, where the reward is much bigger than 2nd/3rd.

In a DoN I am pretty sure you still would call with aces, but you have to fold KK even against villain pushing any two.
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      My advice was for DoNs. And yes, there are many spots where you fold AA.

For example stacks are:

4000 (You)

It is not profitable to go All-in preflop with other big stacks with AA.