This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

When to use ChipEV and when to use $EV?

• Alverine
      Alverine
      Silver
      Hi, Im playing the 18Man SnG and im trying to improve my skills. My question is pretty much said in the title, i will give one example:

Situation: 12 players left, 4 players paid. KJ at CO.

According to sng wiz, if we use ChipEV, we push

If we use $EV, sng wiz will think this is the final table, so 6 players left, wich is not correct. $EV graph:

What should we use here?
  • 7 replies
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      U can't use equilibrium pushes when playing low buyin SnGs. Oponnents aren't good enough. U push depending on how loose/tight the blinds are. But looking at this spot easy push for me regardless. Ur still far from the money and even if it's slightly -EV it's irrelevant.
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      In a tourney you should basically always use $EV...
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Silver
      Originally posted by LuborC
      $EV sng wiz consider this is the final table, wich is wrong.

Originally posted by Atoks
      U can't use equilibrium pushes when playing low buyin SnGs. Oponnents aren't good enough. U push depending on how loose/tight the blinds are. But looking at this spot easy push for me regardless. Ur still far from the money and even if it's slightly -EV it's irrelevant.
      I know that problem. Im playing the $6,50 sng's, and thats why im using sng wiz to adjust my game based on my opponents range.

Why if it's slightly -EV it's irrevelant?
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      Hmmm I don't get it, wiz should recognize it's a two table sng and react accordingly, shouldn't it?
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alverine
      Originally posted by LuborC
      $EV sng wiz consider this is the final table, wich is wrong.

Originally posted by Atoks
      I know that problem. Im playing the $6,50 sng's, and thats why im using sng wiz to adjust my game based on my opponents range.

Why if it's slightly -EV it's irrevelant?
      Because ur playing against scared money. They will not call u without premiums. Folding is OK but I like to steal in a spot like this because often enough the blinds will call even less then 7% range.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      I think in multi table tournaments the rule goes

more players --> chip ev more important
      less players (aka closer too bubble) --> $EV super important.

That being said, in a 18man sng $EV is pretty much always most important. There is no point getting it in with a 52% advantage in the first hand.

What I'm more curious about : how do you have to adjust the ICM calculations with the unknown factors that are on other tables?

say you are down to 10 players (2 tables), and there are 4 super shortstacks on the table you're NOT playing on. This has to have an impact on your $EV in calculations, but how can you let the sng wizard factor it in?
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Silver
      Originally posted by viewer88
      I think in multi table tournaments the rule goes

more players --> chip ev more important
      less players (aka closer too bubble) --> $EV super important.

That being said, in a 18man sng $EV is pretty much always most important. There is no point getting it in with a 52% advantage in the first hand.

What I'm more curious about : how do you have to adjust the ICM calculations with the unknown factors that are on other tables?

say you are down to 10 players (2 tables), and there are 4 super shortstacks on the table you're NOT playing on. This has to have an impact on your $EV in calculations, but how can you let the sng wizard factor it in?
      You cant. When i put sng wiz to calculate the $EV he assumes this is the final table. If we switch to cEV, he assumes we are far away from the money. Both are wrong. I see that problem on situations like the bubble of a big tourney. Its impossible to calculate the right situation based on a program, because there is so many factors unknown (like player stacks)