Plo MTT strategy

• silent21
      silent21
      Global
      I am new to the plo mtt and i played one yester day and saw people plays very differently then the cash games.Saw pretty marginal calls and all ins and this tottaly change the style i am used to play in cash.

Could someone explain some tips or starting hands they way of playing in the stages i really have no clue how to act on these mtt.

Thank you in advance
  • 6 replies
    • OrcaAoc
      OrcaAoc
      Gold
      In low Buy In Omaha Mtts people are in general pretty bad. They splash to many chips in marginal Situations and overplay their hands extremly. This means a couple of things on how you should approach those things. First you should keep the pot small preflop as long as the blinds are relatively small. Even if you have Aces you should not automatically raise because its not all that fun to play unimproved Aces against a bunch of Donkeys that go to the river no matter what. So Hands that can make extremly powerful Holdings on the flop go up in Value because you will always paid of, on the other hand hands that can make second best holdings can be very tough to play since people will play so erratic that you never know if your second best holdings are good or not furthermore you wont be able to get to the showdown cheap as you wish with those holdings often.
      That means Suited Aces, connected high cards, High Pairs with connected cards are the hands that you want to be in with and you should avoid low rundowns or non Nut flushdraw cards as well as small and medium pairs, e.g. something like 6543ds or 7765ds is much worse than in a normal game.

After playing a while the biggest donks will bust out and many of those people who played very cautiosly will survive. At this point relative far into the tournament you can start to play alot more aggressiv because now you will face players who have some idea of the game but often will play to passively or are afraid to bust out.
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      Thank you for the good reply.I think its enough to have an idea from now what i am supposed to do as a plan.
    • Instinctively
      Instinctively
      Bronze
      very good reply Orca ! :s_thumbsup:
    • soonish
      soonish
      Bronze
      thanks for this answer Orca, was looking for that fr a long time.
      Can you tell us whaare the best hand to go all in when shortstack.
      Is it best to have a pair well connected than hih card connected, is it good AAxx. KKxx?
      Com on men tell me everything!!!!!!!!!!
      Thank you
    • OrcaAoc
      OrcaAoc
      Gold
      Aces and Kings are the best Hands to go All In when shortstacked. However since equitys Preflop in Omaha are pretty close you should push alot of hands with a shortstack and first in. Rundown hands with an Ace are pretty good for two reasons, first your Equity against all but Aces is pretty good secondly to run against exactly Aces is more unlikely because you got one Ace yourself already.
      Also good are connected suited cards like JT98s, even if you do run against a monster Hand you often have about 45% Equity with those. Also good are double suited hands without a pair in this scenario, it doesnt matter so much if you have the ace of the suit or not anymore because you dont have the huge negative implied odds from postflop play. A common fault which I see alot especially from bad players and holdthem players is to overrate hands with a medium high pair. The reason a hand like JJ35 is terrible in a Situation like that is that most times you will get called you are pretty crushed against a higher pair.
      So a hand like J976 double suited is actually alot better than the JJ35 offsuit hand but many players dont realize that.
    • soonish
      soonish
      Bronze
      It s a little bit like hold em where I think It is better of going all in with TJ than A rag since we are often call by a better Ace. I think
      Thank you very much...