no strategy - stil profit

• hoffee
      hoffee
      Bronze
      Hey! I've started to think this is getting wierd.

I've played poker for about a year now. The thing that is pretty wierd is that I've read all of the articles at this site, watched some coaching movies etc.. but I've never really used any of the strats.. I've ofc. learned alot how to play.. but if you ask me what EV or ICM are, I have no clue. It may be so that i use ev, but I dont really know what it is.

The way I usually play is to play my opponents. This I do both in sng/cash game and tourneys. Though Im a MTT/tourney player at most.

Therefore I think its wierd that I've got a great load of profit in this period.

The profit is stabil aswell.. I won more than I loose. I haven't loss 10sngs, than won one major event etc.

I honestley have enough profit from poker, to make it a living.

how can this be?

I think its really wierd, any thoughts? please!
  • 34 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Variance.
    • hoffee
      hoffee
      Bronze
      yeah I see. but profitable variance in a period of a year? than its working almost to great for me
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      but how many MTTs did you play in a year?
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Maybe your a natural poker player, playing the opponent is what advanced players do imo
    • hoffee
      hoffee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by redskwerl
      but how many MTTs did you play in a year?
      327 last year.(MTTs)

I've played 723 SNGs so far this year. ROI on SNG is 10%..
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      there's your answer!
      it's basically impossible to play enough MTTs in a year for it to be a statistically significant sample

of course you might very well be a great MTT player.. we just don't know for certain.
    • hoffee
      hoffee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBrood
      Maybe your a natural poker player, playing the opponent is what advanced players do imo
      Hehe, thanks man!

I enjoy that thought, but cant say if its so for sure.

thats why i wrote at the self study forum.

Seriousley, I only play my opponent/my table image in every situation thats the only strat I'm using.

ofc. I've made unwritten strats from earlier experiences in my head,
      but nothing else than that.

I think its wierd that this give me the odds to win.

One factor may be that I've always played some NLHU besides my original game, to increase my skill of creating a good table-image, and reading opponents.

I think this is pretty F'd up, but in some crazy way, it works great! and I has always worked great for me. I've now started to think that this cannot be factor due to variance...
    • hoffee
      hoffee
      Bronze
      you seem smart. Help me out this one mate!
    • hoffee
      hoffee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by redskwerl
      there's your answer!
      it's basically impossible to play enough MTTs in a year for it to be a statistically significant sample

of course you might very well be a great MTT player.. we just don't know for certain.
      Help me out mate, you seem to be a smart guy!
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      I don't really understand what you are looking for. :-)
      In my opinion you are probably a decent player. Your sample size isn't good enough in MTTs, but it's unlikely to have 10 % ROI over 700 games in SNGs if you weren't a winning player.

There is no one good of playing poker. The strategies on this site usually advocate playing TAG game, but that doesn't mean that you couldn't play a different style. Many pros are very succesfull with playing LAG smallball game.
      Hence if you play your game which is working for you, it doesn't have to worse than the strategy you can read here.

I also think that you definitely have to understand things like equity or EV (you just don't know that it is what it is).

Good luck in your game.
    • hoffee
      hoffee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Meiffert
      I don't really understand what you are looking for. :-)
      In my opinion you are probably a decent player. Your sample size isn't good enough in MTTs, but it's unlikely to have 10 % ROI over 700 games in SNGs if you weren't a winning player.

There is no one good of playing poker. The strategies on this site usually advocate playing TAG game, but that doesn't mean that you couldn't play a different style. Many pros are very succesfull with playing LAG smallball game.
      Hence if you play your game which is working for you, it doesn't have to worse than the strategy you can read here.

I also think that you definitely have to understand things like equity or EV (you just don't know that it is what it is).

Good luck in your game.
      Thanks alot for an informative reply!

I was really looking for an answer that sais that it is possible/is not possible to earn in playing like this. Because I sincerely didn't understand how I could make money in the long run, when I don't even know that EV is what it is etc.

Anyhow, I have ofc. learned alot from the videos here at pokerstrategy. but I seem to have learned more about how to think while playing, than how to use the strats.

Now, I think I've got the answer for my speculation.
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      I dont even know why I read this but I have a question for you.

If you have read all the strategy how do you not know what EV or ICM mean?
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      The good players develop their own play style.
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      You don't have to be good to win. You have to be less worse than the other players. It's enough. I finished 3'rd a 700 people tournament (never going all in worse than a coinflip) by playing how i felt was right. Even if i had like 10BB and AQ i was in early position and just said there's something fishy about this and folded. On the other hand, i would steal with a 10BB stack the blinds and antes by raising 3xBB and even conti-bet the flop ?!?! I was once forced to call an all in with 42o. (Not playing MTTs as my regular game but i know the basics.) Strangely i played about the same way 2 times later and cashed again 2 times...
    • hoffee
      hoffee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Verre
      I dont even know why I read this but I have a question for you.

If you have read all the strategy how do you not know what EV or ICM mean?
      have read it, but haven't read it to understand it
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      like someone said before, maybe you're just or natural.

Or maybe you are just lucky.

Only time will tell. The true EV of your game will reveal itself over time :)
    • kryptoniet
      kryptoniet
      Global
      i have thought about the following the last weeks,

there is a change that a player runs lucky his whole life,

this change is ofcourse very low but it is possible,

there are a lot of people who starts to play poker,

so the change there is one that runs lucky a life time long is much more probible.

maybe you are this one, maybe you just play a desent game.

(maybe this player has already wrote books everybody takes serious, because he has "proved" it by winning his games)
    • redskwerl
      redskwerl
      Black
      Originally posted by kryptoniet
      i have thought about the following the last weeks,

there is a change that a player runs lucky his whole life,

this change is ofcourse very low but it is possible,

there are a lot of people who starts to play poker,

so the change there is one that runs lucky a life time long is much more probible.
      you're talking about Phil Hellmuth imo
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      it's quite simple: there's a difference between knowing what to do/what you are doing and knowing what technical terms some people have chosen to refer to what you're doing. it's the difference between a word and the thing the word refers to.

not knowing the name of the concept or strategy you are using is completely irrelevant for how well you play.

anyway, this may have changed, but last tiome i checked there weren't any articles that defined 'EV' and or explained how ICM works.