[NL20-NL50] NL50 FR 88 set on a wet board

• Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (7 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($54.10)VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands 9/6/2.3/27/5.1k
      Button ($17.03)
      SB ($48.75)
      BB ($57.83)
      UTG ($49.74)
      Hero (MP1) ($50)
      MP2 ($27.48)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8, 8
      1 fold, Hero bets $1.75, 1 fold, CO calls $1.75, 3 folds

Flop: ($4.25) 10, 8, 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3, CO calls $3

Turn: ($10.25) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $7, CO raises $49.35 (All-In), Hero calls $38.25 (All-In)

River: ($100.75) K (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $100.75

His overbet looks quite strange, and he is tight, but I'm not ever folding my set on this board, standard right?
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I don't see you beat anything frankly, i think he wouldn't call with many speculative hands preflop to begin with, so that seriously limits what he could have on that board. 66 would have raised the flop, same for two pairs combos if he even has those which he won't imo, only thing that "makes sense" for the turn shove is either 9x or 77, and the peel on the flop with 77 is a stretch for that guy imo.

I think he just has 9x and is obsessed with protection. It hurts but against a tight player on a 4 to a straight board, what could he really have when he shoves there ? With a 10 outer to a boat and no real reason for him to shove 9x there instead of simply raising i think calling is reasonable, but i don't mind a fold against that nit either.

Hope it helps.
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tamairlarace
      Hi,

I don't see you beat anything frankly, i think he wouldn't call with many speculative hands preflop to begin with, so that seriously limits what he could have on that board. 66 would have raised the flop, same for two pairs combos if he even has those which he won't imo, only thing that "makes sense" for the turn shove is either 9x or 77, and the peel on the flop with 77 is a stretch for that guy imo.

I think he just has 9x and is obsessed with protection. It hurts but against a tight player on a 4 to a straight board, what could he really have when he shoves there ? With a 10 outer to a boat and no real reason for him to shove 9x there instead of simply raising i think calling is reasonable, but i don't mind a fold against that nit either.

Hope it helps.

Yeah I also thought so when playing!. I think the only 9 in his range is 99, he is too tight imo to cold call suited conectors like 9T, 89. And why would he overbet there with the best hand? Protection,? sure he needs it, but a normal raise would actually look stronger to me.

For me I was against a draw on the flop than probably improved on the turn and he wanted to make me fold. (For example A:heart: J:heart: now has 12 outs), or maybe just A:heart: K:heart: who thinks his overcards are good. I think here I'm ahead often enough to call because the only reasonable hand in his range that is beating me now is 99 and I have some outs even if I'm beat, so I think I really can't fold here.