[NL2-NL10] Aggression Factor

• Tim64
      I've just read the first bit of DaPhunk's blog and was interested to note his relatively low AF (DP - sorry for the personaliation of this post - difficult to make my point otherwise.

My own AF is double this, at 8.7 (15.0+ on the flop) and, as it's so much higher than DP's and as I'm doing incredibly badly at the moment, I wonder whether I'm doing something wrong...

e.g. Am I just c-betting too much? Are there flops I may as well not bother c-betting on? My continuation bet stat is 92%.

I'd be interested in knowing some other people's SSS AF and c-bet stats, if you're willing to tell me...

• 6 replies
    • Nunki
      When i see a high AF it is normally someone either playing over-aggressively or weak-tight. Too much bet/folding also ups the AF stat.

That being said, stats by themselves seldom tell you very much at all and playing a certain style in order to manufacture "good-looking" stats is a surefire recipe for disaster. If you play a balanced game then your stats will take care of themselves. You need to filter your hands to see if you can spot where the money is going to. Perhaps you are only running bad.

You are only c-betting too much if you find yourself being raised tons. I know of one player who was hugely successful and only cbet @30% of the time(AF 3)!!! c-betting as often as you can get away with is also fine. Versus a good player you can cbet almost 100% of the time when you raise UTG but versus the same player you should slow down if you are raising ultra-wide in LP.
    • goldflair03
      Originally posted by Nunki
      Versus a good player you can cbet almost 100% of the time when you raise UTG but versus the same player you should slow down if you are raising ultra-wide in LP.
      how do u handle u're sb-steal cbetting against backplaying regs?
    • Tim64
      He Nunki,

Thanks- good advice about slowing down when raising loose in LP - hadn't considered that but it makes sense.

If you raise in LP and get called by a tight player, you're quite often behind, I guess - so maybe save some money...
    • burek2000
      Hey Tim64,

I believe there's nothing wrong with high AF, anyway SSS players are supposed to have it at very high values...

One thing is, you play NL50-100 afaik, meaning that's still very straight forward poker and I also think you lack of stats on many opponents, so you have to more or less play basic strategy, which tells you to c-bet every heads-up pot and every pot where you have a made hand. Which means you must have very high AF if you want to play according to the strategy in the first place.

On the other hand, DaPhunk plays higher limits(afaik :) ) with lots of stats and reads, where he can exploit his opponents by sometimes slowplaying, delaying c-bets etc. And another thing, on higher limits you have to play a bit looser and usually raise less preflop as well, so you have to be more careful postflop and sometimes play turn as well which results in lower AF.

I'm leaving this one unjudged if anyone has anything to add.

• dandycal
      Da Phunk doesn't play only SSS, I think this might make a big difference, since when playing BSS post-flop play can be often passive.
    • Gerv
      The higher your cbet% --> higher AFq/AF what completely standard is. Though you have to decrease this on midstakes in order to prevent being exploited (=bluff c/R etc.)

My cbet% was somewhere around 70

- Gerv