Does Strict Basic SSS Actually Work?

• hingus2000
      hingus2000
      Bronze
      After reading about it, I have spent this afternoon playing SSS to the letter on a couple of tables.

TBH, I can't see how the strategy can be successful. I play and enjoy poker, and do so-so. With SSS this afternoon, I was doing worse than I usually do, and it was unbelievably boring.

It just seems like you fold and fold and fold forever, and then when you finally do have a hand, and raise the correct amount, everyone folds to you because you haven't played a hand in so long!

Any thoughts?
  • 10 replies
    • p0rkus
      p0rkus
      Bronze
      In my opinion a really good way to make money when you just get the 50$
      is play Fixed Limit - you can almost certainly guarantee to be winning a consistent amount every hour or so, Follow the SHC and make a chart of the begginer strategy for the Flop Turn and River. Then simply read a bit of the odds and outs and add the ''standard lines against one opponent'' to the mix and you can literaly play ABC with those articles and you are guaranteed success. It gives you much more valuable poker experience than SSS IMO.
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      That is the whole concept of SSS... at the lower limits players will be playing such wide ranges that times you get the money in your usually ahead, it does get boring but when you start moving up there's more to the strategy as you start to adapt to specific player tendencies. Also this is the one sure fire way to increase your bankroll because SSS is unexploitable if played correctly
    • JoniTheAce
      JoniTheAce
      Basic
      one thing i don;t understand is the SSS says that when u fall under 2.00$ u should fill up again to 2.00$ but leave when u reach 2.50$ or more, so lets say u went down to 1.80 3 times and filled back to 2.00 and then u went up to 2.50$, should u then leave the table at a loss of 0.10$?

also i looked around and hardly found tables with 7 players which include only 2 more short stacks. someone sitting with 3.50 is a short stack right?
    • arthurhess
      arthurhess
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JoniTheAce
      one thing i don;t understand is the SSS says that when u fall under 2.00$ u should fill up again to 2.00$ but leave when u reach 2.50$ or more, so lets say u went down to 1.80 3 times and filled back to 2.00 and then u went up to 2.50$, should u then leave the table at a loss of 0.10$?

also i looked around and hardly found tables with 7 players which include only 2 more short stacks. someone sitting with 3.50 is a short stack right?
      Actually u should refil if u fall under 15BB (1.50$)

And... you rly need to leave the table when u get some money, double up, or something like that... 2.5BB is fine, and that's what I do... bcoz u simply wont win every hand... and, if your goal is "maximize ur winnings and minimize ur loss"... when u lose with a pretty "big" stack (comparison to ur buy-in) ur actually MAXIMIZING ur losses...

and don't think on the short run.. the profit of that table, and that kind of stuff... so, if you wanna follow the SSS on a straight-line.. you should get ur money and run...

and i avoid players with 30- BB... just take some time to select a nice table, bcoz it'll rly make u happy when u find a good hand
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Yes. It doesn't matter that you actually lost something on the table before. The strategy is not effective when you are too deep, so it's better to leave the table.

No, they are usually just bad players and good "targets" for you. Even other shortstackers aren't always a bad thing. You only have to avoid people, who play as tight as you. If you see another shortstacker limp, or just call a raise, you can tell, that he isn't a good shortstacker and you can count him as a regular opponent.
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      SSS is all about luck.

today i played perfectly. i even isolated bad players and i knew i was ahead because of stats.

still down 160 dollars.

tomorrow hopefully up 150! and it will go like that for like 6 months and you will be up 1bb / 100!

i hate this strategy but i need to play it in order to clear my bonus fast
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      SSS is fine and works fine, but it is more oriented towards people able to play a large volume. Sure, you could 2-table basic SSS but then your chances are somewhat luckbased, because you will most likely play such a small volume that the high variance of SSS could make you go either way, up or down. This is why many beginners might flame the SSS style just because they don't see the resulsts they want after a few weeks in which they played like 2k hands.

I'd advice you to try to learn the strategy perfectly in the first week or two and then start to increase the amount of tables you play (having a goal of something like 16 or whatever maximum limit your pokerroom allows) if you want to continue SSS and see the variance even out to your profit. Just make sure that if you increase the amount of tables you spend extra time afterwards to evaluate the hands you play in a program like the Elephant, because you won't have as much time to think about them while actually playing.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Weeeeee Drunk post!

You say that you found things more boring than your normal Style. Maybe this was because before you played with a Big stack or you perhaps played SnG's?

To get better at Big Stack, at least especially BSSS FR, playing SSS can be incredibly useful for discipline. If you learn to play on NL2 or Facebook your playing style will be ridiculous so SSS is the best building block possible for leading on to a good poker life.

Oh, although you may think you are playing perfectly (As I did when I started) you arn't. There is much more to learn to improve the strategy and your winrate! Study, study and Study/watch Videos again! You'll get there if you try hard enough.

Oh, multitabling makes the tight style feel a lot better.
    • tsimaks
      tsimaks
      Basic
      :)
    • hingus2000
      hingus2000
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies guys.

Nice to know that it is generally regarded to work.

I'll keep at it for a few weeks and start multitabling more and hopefully I'll see the variance level out.