QQ overpair against an unknown in a reraised pot (BSS NL50)

• howard182
      I don't consider the 15 hands to be meaningful sample so I think of BB as an unknown at the time of the hand (I now have a solid read on him).

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)       

0.25/0.50 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grab'em by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q:heart: , Q:spade:
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $1.75, 5 folds, BU raises to $3.00, SB folds, BB calls $2.50, Hero raises to $14.00, BU folds, BB calls $11.00.

This is worrying, I was trying to isolate the (loose) short stack (read is from observation, not stats) or pick it up preflop but now I've got a call that I can't see being anything but a monster.

Flop: ($31.25) 9:club: , 2:diamond: , T:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $20, BB calls $20.00.

Even if I'm against AK I'd like to pick up the pot right here, it's big enough. This is a big mistake against AA or KK of course. Is there a better line?

Turn: ($71.25) 2:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($71.25) 6:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn and river were blanks, so I checked down perhaps to save money against AA or KK if BB was trying to induce some action (which doesn't make much sense to me admittedly. I've basically got to call at this stage.) Should I have just put my money in? Or even folded to a bet?

Final Pot: $71.25
  • 4 replies
    • tgrb68

i think your preflop play and postflop play is good. the turn check is also good (as you were the one who bet preflop and postflop he would have expected you to bet on the turn and if he has a good hand re-raise you)

but his check on the river shows weakness, so i would have bet on the flop too. imo he was going for a flushdraw with a A or K club
    • Sleyde
      you played very well preflop, perfect.

your mistake is that you imply reasonable thinking if your opponent calls a huge bet. thats just not true! i admit, he probably wont hold 72o but:

he wont call aces and kings only. he probably would have reraised them most of the time. its rather unlikely hes holding kings or aces. most of the time, you are still ahead on the flop. most probably holding here is AK because most of the players dont like reraising it but still they wont fold it preflop no matter what.
      and, good for you, they often cant let go of it postflop even if they dont hit.
      besides, you are ahead against many ohter possible holdings he could have as i already mentioned.

your flopbet is absolutely correct.

your check on the turn though is weak. on nl50, most opponents are fishes and not reasonable thinking players. on the turn, you are pot commited. the effective stacks were $50 and now both of you have $16 left.
      your flopbet commited you. you even would have to call a push, if he moved allin on the flop.

same applies to the turn, you are commited or are you going to fold if he bets $16 into a $87 pot?!

I hope not!

even he had aces or kings. he wont check them down most of the time and the same applies to any other better holding. so you will be broke against any better hand anyways, your goal should be the maximation of profit that you get from the worse hands.

so just push the turn and get the money in.
    • howard182
      Okay, that's what I thought, get it in. I'm just getting a little paranoid after getting stacked with QQ so many times.

He in fact had a completely unreasonable AJo and I picked up a large pot but missed a lot of value against this fish.
    • TheBelgarion
      Flop: ($31.25) 9Club , 2Diamond , TClub (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $20, BB calls $20.00.

he still calls u on this one ...but he doesnt want to bet the turn ...
      ( at least he wasnt too scared of you having T T to call this one - which could mean he is holding at least one of em)

He could have A :club: K :club: but I guess He should have bet on the Turn with AA or KK .. as the flush must look scary to him too

on the other hand you might also worry about him playing TT ... and after he made his FH he wanted you to hit your FLUSH - or anything that would make you call his bet/raise.

so bet a got amount on the river ... but tough decision to call a big reraise ... ( depends one how supid you think he is ... and if you are more worried about getting bluffed out .. or loosing a Big Pot)

the main problem is that you have to assume that he knows - does he know about pot odds and outs - from your previous hands you saw him playing - which might give you some identification if he know enough ... or just some guy with a loose pocket hoping for his FLUSH and not caring about anything)

to Sleyde:
      I still wonder about perfekt pre-flop ... its a bit of your style and how you see the other player ...

I think the raise to 14 might be a bit too much - because it tells use one thing "I have a good hand - I want you out" so the opponent might have set him on a good pair ranging from at least 99 to QQ or maybe KK .... and still he calls his Flop bet here ...