play against calling station with overcards

• kortegan
      kortegan
      Bronze
      This is a situation i've frequently found myself in playing SH FL where
      i've followed the charts and raised pre-flop with a hand lyk KJs KQo etc
      and am heads-up on the flop after one opponent called.

I have the initiative but have missed the flop, they will check-call me down to the river as I try to semi-bluff, and then end up losing the showdown as they've caught bottom pair or something.

I'm not really sure what the play should be any advice? Should I bet the flop but then just check the turn and river? At what point do you give up the bluff/semi-bluff if you're being called down every street?

thanks,
  • 4 replies
      Bronze
      You want to C bet to make em fold...

No chance of a calling station folding.. so heads up its up to you.. if they are passive as all hell,
      then you can bet when you have strong draws because they will call you, and if you hit, you get the xtra
      bets in the pot. Betting into them with pure air just has them call you down without raising wether they hit or not.

So bet your flop with over cards/made hands/draws, then just take your slim draws for free as they will almost always
      check OOP and check behind IP. Then when you hit bet, they will call.. and when you have a monster draw bet for value,
      so when you hit you get paid.

You would find yourself checking the river with these guys often because they wont fold even if they hit a 2 on a KA2JT board.
      So your only giving them money when you are bluffing the river and turn.

Thats just my advice I am new to fixed limit but have played against PILES of stations in SNGs and this seems to be the same thing
      according to the articles so far anyhow.
    • kennyxx
      kennyxx
      Bronze
      Did You read this article?
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kennyxx
      Did You read this article?
      Now i REALLY wanna be gold.. bah I started reading it thinking wtf? I missed one....

Then I get to the bottom of page 1 and its like sorry you need to be gold!!
    • kortegan
      kortegan
      Bronze
      thanks for the advice and the articles great i'm only just gold and hadn't checked out the articles yet. Pokerstrategy realy is impressive though with the content it gives you the gold ones really go into depth...anyway thanks :)