[NL2-NL10] KJ SB vs. BB - All-In Flop good?

• subtropicalchristine
      subtropicalchristine
      Bronze
      did i play it right? BB position always make me confused : (
      this is my FIRST session... kind of dont know what to do
      thanks for you help!!!

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $4.10
      Hero:
      $1.07

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with J:heart: , K:club:
      6 folds, SB calls $0.03, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.10) 9:spade: , 7:diamond: , K:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.15, Hero raises to $0.30, SB raises to $4.05 (All-In), Hero calls $0.72 (All-In), SB gets uncalled bet back.

Turn: ($2.14) 4:heart:
      River: ($2.14) 3:club: (1 players)

Final Pot: $2.14
  • 2 replies
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Yep - playing shortstacked we generally say that with top pair, good kicker (J+), you want to get your money the middle.

However:
      1. This is an 'unraised pot' = no one raised before the flop; because of this, you normally need a better hand (2 pair or better) to proceed. That's because you have no initiative as you weren't pre-flop aggressor.

2. Subject to overriding point #3 below, generally 'completing' as SB is quite weak and so it would be better to raise this pre-flop - by 4BB - (but you would still have to fold this marginal hand if you were reraised). That would establish you as 'pre-flop aggressor' and then you could go broke with top pair, good kicker.

3. I would re-read the basic SSS and bronze articles. At the very low stakes tables it's profitable enough to only play hands in the starting hands chart and, as KJ isn't included, you should just check fold this hand.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi christine,

I raise preflop to punish opencompleters with almost ATC, KJo is a solid hand to play postflop ip! 4bb is the right amount.

As played, I dont like the minraise since it gives way too favourable odds to your opponents so I like the shove on his overbet!

- Gerv