This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL25sh - 88, ok bluff?

• PetterG2
      PetterG2
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $27,89
      BU:
      $39,13

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.68 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8:heart: , 8:club:
      MP2 folds, Hero raises to $1,00, CO folds, BU calls $1,00, 2 folds.

Flop: ($2,35) 2:heart: , 4:spade: , 5:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1,50, BU calls $1,50.

Turn: ($5,35) 9:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $3,75, Hero calls $3,75.

River: ($12,85) 6:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $6,00, Hero raises to $21,64 (All-In)

I didn't have any stats on him at the time, but from what I'd seen he was a decent player. I had see him float a lowcard board before which is why I called turn. My plan was to c/f river, but when the weakish halfpot bet came I just couldn't help myself. Ok spot to bluff?
  • 3 replies
    • mozartiano
      mozartiano
      Bronze
      Looks that you're running into a strong preflop hand.

JJ is my guess.

Your perceived hand in the flop is also too high, QQ - KK - AA.

But after you check the turn, it's more like 9T, 88-TT.

I'd folded on river. The only chance I could be afraid of you was a check raise in turn.

Thanks
    • Diedobal
      Diedobal
      Bronze
      Potcontrol & disguising hand on turn is fine. River cards sucks and I would muck as we only beat total bluffs, which happen very rarely on such low boards.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

It's probably not horrible if your goal is to confuse him, but i don't really see what he'll fold in that spot.

You decide to c/c the turn because you think he's floating, and then he bets half pot on the river. It's either a value bet or a cheap steal. If it's a cheap steal then just call and see if you're right, by raising you're bluffing him off the worse hand. If it's a value bet it probably comes from a hand strong enough that he will find a call against your funky line with those odds, he MIGHT fold TT if he's a bit scared but he'll probably call with anything better just because your play is intriguing, tags expect you to just barrel the 3 streets with something better than an overpair.

Hope it helps.