Player A raises 500
      Player B calls 500
      ** Dealing Turn ** [ 7d ]
      Player B raises 250
      Player A calls 250
      ** Dealing River ** [ 2s ]
      Player B goes all-in
      Player A folds.

Player B shows [ Jc, 10s ] two pairs, Jacks and Tens.
      Player A shows [ Kc Qd ] a high card King.

If I played this wrong, how should I play OESD's like this?
  • 4 replies
    • Variola
      Variola
      Bronze
      are you player A or B? :)
    • zhenzhenZHEN
      zhenzhenZHEN
      Bronze
      dont raise your draw? Oo
    • Agiaea
      Agiaea
      Bronze
      Yeah, basically, you want to see a card as cheaply as you can, if you are on OESD or any draw whatsoever. Whether paying to see an extra card is profitable, is a matter of pot odds you have been offered, and the kind of draw you have.

In this case, when flop came, and player B raised you, 2350 chips were in the pot, and it cost you 500 to call. This gave you a little bit better than 1:4.5 pot odds. On the other hand, your OESD will connect if you manage to hit any of the for remaining nines or aces, giving you 16 to 38.5 chances to hit your card in the end, or somewhat less then 1:2.5.

However, you have to note that there is a big chance not to hit your card on the turn, since your chances of hitting your draw is 8:39, or somewhere about 1:5. So now comes the complicated part.

If pot odds on the flop are 1:5 or greater, this is no-brainer, you call. If odds are smaller, you have to consider some other factors. First one, on the flop, is what will it cost you to call on the turn, if your card doesn't hit. The lower you think the amount is, the lower are the pot odds you are going to call. In your example, your opponent raised you 500 on the flop, and 250 on the turn, which is 750 you needed to call, to try and get a pot of 2400. These are about 1:3 odds. The odds of hitting your draw are 1:2.5, so this would be a clear call, if you read your opponent right. The other factor are so-called implied odds. Since, if you hit your draw, you will most likely have a stronger hand than your opponents, you will have a chance of extracting extra chips from him. so you should call even if your (likely) pot odds are lower then 1:2.5. Here, i am pretty sure he would have made the all-in bet if the river was a K, maybe even if it was a 9. Even if he didn't, he would have called an extra 500 in a flash. That's not to say that you should always count on large amount of extra money while thinking about implied odds, since your opponent will rarely have two top pairs, and won't be this weak. It's just an example of what implied odds are, and why you should think about them in these situations.

Anyways, 1:4.5 pot odds you were given by your opponent are more than good for you, so you should have called on the flop. Raising was a mistake. As I said, you want to see another card as cheaply as you can. Also, his bet on the turn was not nearly big enough to chase you away from the pot, giving you enormous pot odds you just had to take.
    • animusss
      animusss
      Basic
      Alright thanks heaps dude