CO: $50.00
      BTN: $50.00
      Hero (SB): $61.10
      BB: $59.50
      UTG: $21.80
      MP: $33.50

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is SB with A:spade: Q:club:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $1.75, Hero calls $1.50, 1 fold

Flop: ($4.00) 5:club: 4:spade: K:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $3, Hero calls $3

Turn: ($10.00) T:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $6, Hero raises to $16, BTN calls $10

River: ($42.00) 2:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $40.35 (AI) ?

villain is solid tag/reg and he also knows me that i am decent player. considering i hold a:spade: is this a good spot or too spewy?
  • 3 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think you´d raise set on the flop, so that leaves flushdraw.
      You get quite a lot of folds on the river, so your shove isn´t that bad, what I don´t like is:
      - if you decided to flat pf, then I´likely give up that board or turn my hand into bluff and c/r
      - I´d likely 3-bet pf, since I don´t expect him to 4-bet light almost never and he can call pf with worse hands
    • silent21
      silent21
      Global
      In another hand i 3bet a solid tag with AQ, he called me IP and i value towned myself on A high rainbow flop vs his AK. then people commented something like "do not 3bet with AJ/AQ villains who will never call you lighter and etc...". so basically how to u play AQ and vs what type of villains and position... like 95% 3bet vs anytype ?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

"How to play AQ in 6max games" would probably take a few hours. Against solid tags which usually all have decently wide BU opening ranges, I go by something like:

- If he doesn't defend much to 3bets, i'll just call. If he c-bets a lot postflop i'll c/c A-high boards and c/r decently often as a weak semi-bluff on good textures. If he doesn't c-bet that much postflop, you're pretty much locked into calling two streets on A-high boards and trying to check down the rest of the time, probably a good idea is to mix in some donkbets on dry textures that never really hit anybody too.

- If he defends often to 3bets, i'll 3bet preflop. Then c-bet most flops including A-high ones, but being careful from the turn onward since his c-bet calling range on A-high textures is going to be very narrow. At that point it would help to know how he plays AK, but it's not that important. More important is the fact that he probably has AJ+ always and he WON'T call it off with AJ, he'll just assume you have AQ+ and get rid of it. He will however be happy to play it like a bluff catcher against you, which means taking a pot control line on later streets is often doable against a range which you'll be hard pressed to get any more value from anyway.

I guess the main point is, you won't be making the most money when you hit an A with AQ. Don't fool yourself thinking tags will call down with worse Ax, because without history they won't. They'll give you credit at some point for a better ace and get out of the way. So take down pots the rest of the time and be careful when you do actually hit TP2K, their ranges for calling you postflop are tight enough for you to be valuetowning yourself about as often as you valuetown them.

Hope it helps.