$50.00
      MP1:
      $10.50
      MP3:
      $24.25
      CO:
      $15.19

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:club: , T:heart:
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 raises to $1.00, MP1 calls $1.00, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1.00, CO calls $1.00, BU folds, SB calls $0.75, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($6.00) 6:diamond: , K:spade: , T:club: (6 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, UTG2 checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($6.00) Q:diamond: (6 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $4.00, UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $4.00, MP3 calls $4.00, 2 folds.

River: ($18.00) 9:club: (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $5.50 (All-In), MP3 calls $5.50, Hero raises to $4.00 (All-In).

Final Pot: $33.00

Do I commit a cardinaly sin by not betting my two pair on the flop? I checked oop in the hope of inducing a bet, with the intention of 3betting all in. After the unfortunate Turn, I must bet. The River gives a straight to any opponent with a J. Must I fold, or am I pot comitted?
      TIA,
      Tim
  • 4 replies
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Flop: With this many players in the pot people tend to play straightforwardly. The implication of this is that anyone whom bets would likely have called anyway and with only1.5xpot behind you risk a free-card in a six way pot for no real gain. You don't need a c/r to get stacks in. FPS.

Turn:Better late than never. You could even consider shoving if you feel that you are going broke on most river-cards.

River: Cardinal sin #2. If you decide to c/c then you should bet yourself (especially against loose-passive opponents) since your opponent (s) will often check behind with hands that they would have otherwise have called with meaning that you get valuetowned and they don't.

As played the river is pretty gross. You have most of your stack in the middle and are getting 7:1 to call. I am a station but I think that I have to fold on the river since you are not too likely to beat both players.

An instructive hand to be sure. A tight short-stacker might rely on his PF equity edge but this is nothing compared to the value a good player can make on the river when quite often a ton of dead-money is slid into the pot.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      I call preflop also and bet flop. ugly river and it likely just depends on my mood whether I call or fold.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Thanks Nunki - really helpful response. I have a difficulty thinking straight sometimes.

On the river, I obviously feared the J and didn't think I would get a call from worse hands so I didn't bet - hoping no one else would either. But you're right - that thinking is fuzzy if I am going to call anyway. Maybe I hadn't decided yet whether to call...

So sick that one makes the rare decision as an SSS player to call pf, get's the perfect flop, and then f**ks it up by slowplaying :rolleyes:
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey Tim64,

although it's normally ok to check to PFA, I think it's not necessary when pot is 6-way, because he will be much more conservative. So, I would just bet out myself and shove turn.

As played,

Flop: With this many players in the pot people tend to play straightforwardly. The implication of this is that anyone whom bets would likely have called anyway and with only1.5xpot behind you risk a free-card in a six way pot for no real gain. You don't need a c/r to get stacks in. FPS.

Turn:Better late than never. You could even consider shoving if you feel that you are going broke on most river-cards.

River: Cardinal sin #2. If you decide to c/c then you should bet yourself (especially against loose-passive opponents) since your opponent (s) will often check behind with hands that they would have otherwise have called with meaning that you get valuetowned and they don't.

As played the river is pretty gross. You have most of your stack in the middle and are getting 7:1 to call. I am a station but I think that I have to fold on the river since you are not too likely to beat both players.

An instructive hand to be sure. A tight short-stacker might rely on his PF equity edge but this is nothing compared to the value a good player can make on the river when quite often a ton of dead-money is slid into the pot.

...this. I would push river first to act, but since you checked and 2 players want to see SD, I would fold, because every J has you beat and with 2 players one has it for sure.

Regards,
      burek2000