From fixed to no limit.

• Nogatsira
      Nogatsira
      Bronze
      After a huge downswing on the FL tables (and probably some bad play), I descided to switch to the NL bigstack strategy (what I play IRL with my friends).

I kinda feel way better when playing NL cause I like the fact that u can go broke or double up every single hand that u get dealt. I really feel that I could make way more playing NL then FL, so good luck to me on the no limit tables :)

Probably nobody cares, but I felt like telling it :p

Anyone else switched over a couple of times? And what are the reason to play FL or NL?
  • 23 replies
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      There are a lot of interesting advantages or disadvantages for both games.

But when you have to decide for one game, it all comes down to the simple question:"Which game do you like the most?"

And if the answer is No-Limit then play No-Limit.

Ive been playing Fixed for all my career now and sometimes in between i m playing NL.

I remember about 3 months ago when i played NL on NL400 and NL600 and i lost about $2000 in 40 minutes ;) because i couldnt get rid of my TPTK.

A fixed limit players problem when you switch to NL :D

Anyway i wish you good luck and of course have fun.

Best regards,
      Stefan
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      I always play NL with my friends to. But i just love to play FL online. I dont know why =)
    • Nogatsira
      Nogatsira
      Bronze
      NL on the 0.02/0.04 tables is going GREAT for me so far. Its unbelievable how bad the players are!
      I was down to $20 after 4000 raked hands at the FL tables.
      I switched to NL and after only 500 raked hands I'm at $70 again!
      So by the time I reach my 5k raked hands bonus I might have $100 and with the added 100 bonus I can climb up a limit.

Hooray for me :)
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Feel free to make a diary here about your NL success. THis can have also a very positive effect on your learning experience and it is some sort of self control.

Also i guess it would be quite cool for a lot of people if you tell them about the differences between NL and Fixed.
    • Nogatsira
      Nogatsira
      Bronze
      Your post brought something in my mind. Wouldnt it be a nice feature if everyone could have his poker-blog on this website?
      I wouldnt mind posting how my day went, tell some things I learned, posting some hands daily, ...
      It might inspire alot of other people.
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Hehe, yeah great idea.

A blog function for our site is on our to do list.
    • Nogatsira
      Nogatsira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Stefan1000
      Also i guess it would be quite cool for a lot of people if you tell them about the differences between NL and Fixed.
      So, for those who like to know some differences about NL and fixed:

The main thing to start of with is to say that its about lowstakes NL and fixed, thats a huge difference compared to highstakes!

On the low stakes I noticed 3 different types of people:
      1) people who are here to gamble
      2) people who are here to play as long as possible with their money so they are scared to lose it
      3) people who can play

If u ad those people in the different gamestyles then it seems already profitable for NL: people who are here to gamble will pay u off, people who are scared to lose are easy bluffable and the people who can play .. well .. u try to play better :)

If u play those people in FL, then you cant abuse their playstyle that much. Its harder to win with the best hand and you'll get outdrawn alot more.
      I'll give an example:

Fixed full ring in big blind with AA:
      - 7 limpers before you (wich is not uncummon)
      - You raise
      - First guy calls cause he feels like gambling, and all the others feel like they have the odds to call.
      - AA vs 1 random hand has a huge chance of winning, AA vs any other pocket pair thats lower has 4,5 to 1 chance to win, so those odds would be awesome, but now you are in with 7! others, so your chances against 7 random hands will drop to maybe 25% chance to win.

NL full ring in big blind with AA:
      - 7 limpers before you
      - You can raise 3x BB + 7x BB!
      - Only people with quality hands (AA-KK-QQ-AK) will probably call you now, and the beauty in this is, that people who are here to gamble will call you with even worse hands
      - So now you either won the money of all the limpers, or you are heads up against a worse hand, and you're going in as a huge favorite to win the hand!

So for me the big difference in FL and NL is that in NL your good hands will win more often and they will get you more money.
      The other good thing about lowstakes NL is that alot of the people dont know anything about potodds, so you can almost semi-bluff every single hand, with an amount that gives you the potodds to draw.

People also like to minraise and they dont realise how much weakness they show by doing that (for example betting 0.04 into a 0.60 pot). You just reraise them big and take the pot down.

I noticed that I can often take down pots without even having a hand, by just looking at my opponents betting weakness and his donkyness.
      Dont try to do this with an elephant though, unless he's scared of big bets, then you can just trow in a big one :p
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      nice posting
    • Nogatsira
      Nogatsira
      Bronze
      So I'm very close to my 5k raked hands now, then I'll have $200 so I'll be able to climb up a limit. I feel pretty good to be with the few who managed to reach the 5k hands without going broke :)

Some tips how I made the most money on the NL tables:
      - continuationbet of 3/4th the pot out of position and 2/4th the pot in position VERY OFTEN takes down the pot!
      - I'm not really a TAG, I've been playing more like a LAG and I dont advice it to most new players, cause you might risk way more, but for me, playing as a LAG (specially in late position), I've been able to pick up ALOT of dead money!

All the dead money and the money with continuationbets really counts up. Hitting sets might earn alot aswell ;)
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Nogatsira
      I feel pretty good to be with the few who managed to reach the 5k hands without going broke :)
      Thats a good question , can an admin tell me around what % of people who sign up for PS manage to reach the 5k raked hands?
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      I don't believe pokerstrategy wants anyone knows how many reach this (survive or reach the 5k mark)
    • Nogatsira
      Nogatsira
      Bronze
      I think Stefan once posted it, or atleast gave a vague %, and believe me, you'd start crying if u knew.

I think alot of people just sign up, think they can play, dont even pay attention to bankroll management and join some 2/4 game and spoil it all.

Its a pitty that all those people are wasting pokerstrategys money, cause they deserve the money for all the work they are doing. I'm not gonna say pokerstrategy is "life-changing" for me, cause that sounds rather weird, but it really changed my game, my daily shedule and I really am enjoying poker more. Its not only the poker, I want to climb the limits moneywise and pokerstartegywise. I guess for me getting from bronze to diamond is like getting from lvl 1 to lvl 70 for some WoW-addicts :)
    • havox
      havox
      Bronze
      Thx Nogatsira,

and i can promise you that we put so much resources and effort back into our company trying to improve our content.

Actually the percentage of people reaching the $100 bonus (5k raked hands) is not that small.

Much smaller is the number of people who registered but never pass the quiz or even try it :D

Best regards,
      Stefan
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      I posted from my neighbors pc.

Best regards,
      Stefan
    • njup
      njup
      Bronze
      Heh i had today same feeling that i should turn to NL. Lost 60BBs in one houre because i ran out of luck so many times. You all know that feeling when you get AA, you are pushing it real hard and someone just decides to limp and gets his 2 outs on a river .S well anyway thats why i like NL. If u have decent hand you can get some value to it. Besides beting is in my opinion a lot more efficient. Bet in NL tells a lot more about your oponents hand than bet in FL.

Btw Nogatsira you playing short-stack? Maine reason why i choosed FL to begin with is that there were a lot more hands that could be played. I tend to be a bit unpatient (to overcome that i started to play on 4 tables :P ) so it seemed too passive for me.

Anyhow keep up your so called blog .P i wana read about yr fast badbeat :=)
    • Nogatsira
      Nogatsira
      Bronze
      No I dont like to play the shortstack strategy.
      I dont say that its bad to play the shortstack, its an AWESOME strategy and very well worked out by pokerstrategy, but I like to play loose-agressive with a bigstack. Sounds like a fish eh? :p

I just reached my 5k raked hands, I'm at $220 now, so next session I'll play will be at a higher limit. I managed to get from $20 to $120 in around 800 raked hands, I dont think thats bad :)

Now I hope I can manage to get some success on the NL10 so I can keep on growing my bankroll till I can climb the levels once more!
    • njup
      njup
      Bronze
      i wouldnt place myself tag as well.. if table is playing tight and i can see they play only strong hands i play it also loose. Good way to steel blinds .)
      Well i was on 130$ but as i said, had some misfortune today. Now back on 100 and 400 raked hands still to play. I think im going to read that NL section over again and decide then. Thx for the promo anyway :)
    • Nogatsira
      Nogatsira
      Bronze
      I guess I like NL more cause I watched too much poker on youtube :p.
      And if you only need 400 more hands to clear your bonus, then I suggest you play a bit more, more tables or more hours, so u can reach the silver status.
      There is alot of reading stuff that will improve your game bigtime!
    • Nogatsira
      Nogatsira
      Bronze
      So I just finished my first 50 minutes session 4-tabling at NL10.
      After 2 minutes I was down alot, I found myself all-in preflop with kings against aces and AK against a shorstack with KK.
      It also took some time to get used to the betting. All bets are like double the size now, so it took me some time to get used to it :)

50 minutes later I still managed to be up $5.50, so for my first session in a higher limit I am really pleased.

And now I need a nap! :)