FL SNG strategy?

• enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      I recently tried my luck at a FL SNG.
      I played it like a cash game (a bit tighter than i usually play though) but i still felt i didnt play the right style that fit the game. I browsed the articles and i didnt find any info on the above. So can someone briefly sum up the difference between FL ring game play and tourney play? Or even better, refer me to an article/book on the matter?
  • 2 replies
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      They feel very crappy. The basic idea is that nobody does anything until all the table has like 5bets and it's all a matter of luck. I don't know any documentation, you may only watch some wsop which makes this tournaments.
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      I've played a bunch of HU FL sng's and some FL tourney's and horse tourney's so hopefully I can help out a little bit.

Basically, in the first few blind levels, it's alright to play it like a cash game but I stay away from some of the more marginal situations and don't bluff unless there's a good read so I don't drain my chip stack in the marginal spots. By the middle of the sng/tourney, you should have some decent reads on the opponents and it's the time to use them - steal/bluff a bit, fold early, etc. At the end or when short-stacked it's a good idea to have some knowledge of how hands play out in a push/fold situation, so if you haven't taken a look at the ICM trainer then it's a good idea to work on that skill right away because you'll need it, i.e. cap with the K8s preflop and follow up on the flop is a necessary play in some situations. Also, playing solid and crushing a few players with a tag style of game will instill fear into your opponents for when it really helps to have a solid image in the middle/late rounds. :f_cool:

I haven't tried to multi-table these. I'm pretty sure they're tougher to multi-table because reads become so important. If you miss the flop but have overcards and a backdoor flush then playing it strong may or may not be the way to go. In a NL sng you would either push or fold pre in these spots so having a good read becomes too valuable post-flop.

This isn't the gospel, of course, just some thoughts on how I play them.