Which do you think generates more profit?

• 11 replies
    • MigArt
      MigArt
      Bronze
      There's no real answer. Both have advantages and disadvantages, both have different strategies, both have their own risks and potential profits.

What will generate most profit will be the type of game you like to play the most in the end.
    • PearlGold
      PearlGold
      Bronze
      Thanks for your opinion

I personally prefer playing cash games although i have seen people generate huge BR's using SnG in a short period provided you use the right strategy, i just don't feel comfortable with the late phase of a SnG where you push/fold
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      In my opinion, sng's represent slightly higher risk/reward due to nature of their structure and you are always staking a whole stack (BI) each time. With cash games, you can withdraw at any time without risking a stack if you don't get any decent cards/opportunities etc.
      I guess this theory is supported in terms of the difference in BRM requirements for each, but only a guess, no real idea. Would be equally interested in others views.

Bart

Views are my own as a member of the forum and not an official PokerStrategy view in any form. Moderators are members too :D
    • PearlGold
      PearlGold
      Bronze
      Again another nice view and outlook

It would be interesting to hear of some accounts from cash games and SnG players success's with risk vs reward.
    • Jazzy8James
      Jazzy8James
      Bronze
      Hi, Im an MTT grinder, with some Sng sometimes,
      I opened my new account at Mansion, deposited 300$
      30 days play 336 tourney played--->i have 850$ with an 40% ROI in av. if u sharkscope-it u`ll see

but i play mainly MTT not the 30 seat SNG,
      So thats an MTT perspective
    • irregularity
      irregularity
      Bronze
      If your Mansion nameis the same as your PS name, very nice jump in the graph around 75 games (MTTs only) what tourny was that, did you win it?
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      I dont think we can say what is more profitable..

I have this "theory":

Its like in economy, if one sector would become more profitable and it would be obvious, then more producters would come into the sector, creating more competition and the sector would become less profitable... =)

So my guess is, something similar works here in poker. If we would know that Sngs are more profitable, we would all try to work on our sng game and make our money there. But then there would be too many sharks playing sngs and cash games would become more profitable :D
      I hope you get my point, even though its maybe bullshit
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      MTT's. Big ones. If you have the nerves to play them. My best result is about 5700% ROI on a freezeout. And you cannot expect to do that no matter what else you play. But i play cash games :D
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      IMO: cash games

Once you reach ~100$ + sng's you're pretty much playing for the rakeback, while there are still nice winrates possible for the high stake cashgames.

All sng's below ~100$ I don't think it makes alot of difference.
    • Jazzy8James
      Jazzy8James
      Bronze
      I play every MTT between 1-15$ every day from 8am, i just managed to finish in 3rd at the 7$rebuy for a whopping 557$ and turning to 48% ROI for the past 30 days, i got a 1st place at th 2$ freezout couple of day ago i guess that was a jump...75 th games... hm... i guess it was a 30 player Sng for 5$. managed to win couple of those aswell last week.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      MTT in the long long run and with a toooooon of time.

actually I'm starting to believe it's not worth the effort ... cash ftw