down to my last $10

• benguela
      benguela
      Bronze
      I'm down to my last $10 from my starting $50 playing fl $0.1/$0.2 FL.

Tried both the basic and bronze SHC's neither seemed to help. Read all the articles. When I was down to $20 I went back to the basic SHC to tighten up but now I'm down to my last $10.

What would your suggestions be at this rather grim state of my bankroll?
  • 7 replies
    • benguela
      benguela
      Bronze
      well as I posted this thread the answer was blindingly obvious:

when I was at $30 I should have dropped a level to $0.05/$0.1 and if BR is $12 drop down to $0.02/$0.04. duh!

so now I'm grinding the $0.02/$0.04 level :(
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey benguela

BRM is a pretty important lesson to learn... well done!

After that, if you haven't already, please post any hands you are unsure of in the hand evaluation forums. That way any problem hands or situations you are having can hopefully be ironed out and get your bankroll heading back in the right direction.

Good luck.
    • benguela
      benguela
      Bronze
      well in my first session at the lowest possible limit with my $10 BR I lost 13 BB. Here's an example hand

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $0.68
      CO:
      $1.00

0.02/0.04 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:spade: , 9:diamond:
      5 folds, CO calls, 2 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) 8:heart: , A:diamond: , Q:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets, CO calls.

Turn: (2.25 BB) T:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets, Hero calls.

River: (4.25 BB) 2:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of aces (As 9d)
      CO shows two pairs, queens and tens (Td Qh)

CO wins with two pairs, queens and tens (Td Qh)
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hey benguela.. good stuff posting the hand but put it in a new thread in the Bronze eval section of the FL forum.

But here is the advantage of posting your hand - because irrespective of the end result, there are two immediate errors here!

1. Raise preflop. Per the Bronze charts (which are the ones you really should use) you are raising one limper here from the BB with A9o (chart says A8o+).

2. Bet the turn with initiative. You had top pair, and while some draws got in on the turn, the villian has a ton of draws they could still be trying to hit... by checking the turn you give the villian the chance to check behind for a free card to hit one of those draws.
    • benguela
      benguela
      Bronze
      Thanks for the feedback waiboy

Originally posted by Waiboy
      1. Raise preflop. Per the Bronze charts (which are the ones you really should use) you are raising one limper here from the BB with A9o (chart says A8o+).
      I have reverted to the basic SHC to tighten up, A9o is not listed in that chart hence my check pre-flop so therefor my play here is correct.

2. Bet the turn with initiative. You had top pair, and while some draws got in on the turn, the villian has a ton of draws they could still be trying to hit... by checking the turn you give the villian the chance to check behind for a free card to hit one of those draws.
      I agree with you here even though in this particular case I would have lost a lot more had I had bet the turn. Is it fair to say I had a read on the villain? It was about 2 hours into the session and this particular villain was only going to showdown against me with something decent because of my super tight image.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by benguela
      Originally posted by Waiboy
      I have reverted to the basic SHC to tighten up, A9o is not listed in that chart hence my check pre-flop so therefor my play here is correct.
      Don't revert to the basic SHC because you lose waaay too much by giving up equity in hands. If you're losing money it's not because of your pre flop play, but because you aren't playing post flop.

The basic chart is really just to give you a feel for the game and if you've moved on already, I suggest you stick to the bronze charts. The bronze charts assume you're playing v PS.com TAG range and are therefore already pretty tight. Don't be hesitant even though your BR is marginal, you really have to play using the bronze charts or else you will be losing value.

I agree with you here even though in this particular case I would have lost a lot more had I had bet the turn. Is it fair to say I had a read on the villain? It was about 2 hours into the session and this particular villain was only going to showdown against me with something decent because of my super tight image.
      Image has nothing to do with the play on the turn here. The villian doesn't always hit their draws or two pair on the turn (although sometimes it feels like it).

You can't have a read that has the villian beating your top pair because they called you on the flop - unless they are a super nit in which case you can bet every flop at them and know they'll fold in most cases - unlikely I would guess.

The fact is if you check the turn, you don't protect your hand from one of the numerous draws. If you bet turn the villian cannot correctly call with any draw - including flush draws as they only get 3.25:1 and need 4:1 to call. If you get raised, then you call down as you could easily be against worse Ax hands, Qx hands with OESD and GS draws, and you still have outs to 3 of a kind, two pair and a gutshot straight draw if you are behind to a lot of two pair or set hands.

Anywhom, as I said, best post these hands in the evaluation forums as you get the professional hand judges to guide you, in addition to some enthusiastic amatuers!
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Nah, you were ahead on the flop and checking based on the turn card is not a good play. Bet and call down in that spot is the standard unless you have a very solid read since the pot is 5.25BB's at that point and your hand has enough equity to justify a call in that spot, sometimes a re-raise is good against over-aggressive types.