Two pair in SSS: How good it is?..

• ElvisKa
      ElvisKa
      Bronze
      Hello guys and girls
      I'm getting confused lately as playing SSS i'm often getting in such situations:

Known players:
      MP1:
      $1.91
      MP2:
      $4.73
      MP3:
      $1.85
      CO:
      $7.18
      BU:
      $11.84
      SB:
      $7.28
      BB(Hero):
      $1.90
      UTG2:
      $2.35

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8, 5.
      UTG2 calls $0.10, 5 folds, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.3) 5, 8, 2 (4 players)
      SB bets $0.50.
      Hero ?..

Any tips how to play 2 pairs in such situations?..

P.S: No info on vilain, just got seated at the table...
  • 13 replies
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      there two OESD possible here 67 and 34, further PP that hit the set, which is not very obvious since that (should) be a raise pre-flop.

Most of the time SB is trying to steal to pot with any pair.

I think you're ok here calling and re-evaluate turn. I think I would even shove... :D

If you loose the pot after shoving, dont c-bet your next hand if you didn't hit since your table image is a bit criplet.
    • ElvisKa
      ElvisKa
      Bronze
      Well, i folded here.
      UTG called.
      They didn't raise more on turn and river, just checked.
      And in the end SB won with 222 while UTG had Ah8h.

So... I'm still unsure how do i have to play these :|
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      To two while shortstacked = nuts.
    • Danny917
      Danny917
      Bronze
      Ez push. Never fold top 2 pairs with shortstack. You got very lucky folding them in that situation, but you should play due to expected value, and folding that hand is EV-, and even more if we talk about NL10 ;)
    • ElvisKa
      ElvisKa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Danny917
      Ez push. Never fold top 2 pairs with shortstack. You got very lucky folding them in that situation, but you should play due to expected value, and folding that hand is EV-, and even more if we talk about NL10 ;)
      Ok, thank you for the advice.
      And what about the low two pairs? How shuold i play it?
    • mafaz
      mafaz
      Bronze
      depends how many players see the flop i think but you definatelly have to play with 2 pair.
    • cactusbob
      cactusbob
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ElvisKa

It's hard to really answer the question "How should I play it?", because it really depends on who you're playing, table dynamics, ect ect.. but basically, when short stacked, you're looking to get in as much cash as you can with any two pair. (and big stacked, mostly) More often than not (especially at micro limits), they'll be happy to call with TPTK, or an overpair.

Short stackers don't have the time to call and re-evaluate on later streets, because half of their stack is already in the pot.
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Small pocket pairs you could call only on button or cut off if there are at least two limpers in front and the ppl in the blinds is not so agressive. Then on the flop you follow: "no set no bet". So not so many places to play them.

On advanced SSS you can steal with them in late position and sb.

Hope it helps
      Termi8r
    • p0kerdragon1
      p0kerdragon1
      Bronze

I would raise All-in too (even with tww low pairs), there are no flush draws on the board and if he was holding any pair different to the board or had a OESD you were favorite between against two players in the flop with 70% of winning chance.

Also you have to pay attention to the other players if they are agressive, tight, or loose

Reading your opponents is very important for taking your decisions in every hand. You wouldn't raise All-in AA against a Tight-Solid player in a KKX X X who makes CBets and shows strength on preflop you should be careful with that hand on any flush drawuote]
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Well we go all-in constantely with BB+ and AK when we hit a A or K. So thats only 1-pair. You have 2-pair so why would'nt you go all-in since 1-pair < 2-pair ;)
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      two pair = nuts, push
    • Danny917
      Danny917
      Bronze
      Don't confuse ElvisKa :P SSS is a kind of strategy, where postflop decisions are basic and simple (especially at NL10). 2 pairs on the flop are always an easy push, especially if u have less than 3-4 players in the pot. And it also doesn't matter if it is top2 or not.
    • ElvisKa
      ElvisKa
      Bronze
      Don't confuse ElvisKa :P SSS is a kind of strategy, where postflop decisions are basic and simple (especially at NL10). 2 pairs on the flop are always an easy push, especially if u have less than 3-4 players in the pot. And it also doesn't matter if it is top2 or not.
      Thanks a lot :)