This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL10 QQ call the river?

• cooltree123
      cooltree123
      Bronze
      In my opinion I probably should have bet slightly higher on the turn, however my main dilemma was whether or not to call the river. It is only $2 into a $5 pot, but looking more closely now I probably only beat JJ or poss a very poorly played AT. Thanks for your help.

Known players:       
      Hero:
      $10.00
      BU:
      $19.50

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.65 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q:spade: , Q:club:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, 2 folds, BU calls $0.40, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.95) 5:club: , 6:diamond: , T:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.60, BU calls $0.60.

Turn: ($2.15) 7:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.60, BU calls $1.60.

River: ($5.35) 8:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $2.00, Hero calls $2.00.

Final Pot: $9.35

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of queens (Qs Qc)
      BU shows a straight, ten high (9h 9s)

BU wins with a straight, ten high (9h 9s)
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Check/calling on the river is probably the worst line against an unknown, especially when all the hands he could have been drawing with got there with either two pairs or a straight. He'll only bet if he has you beat, so you don't wanna call a bet from him.

If you don't want to give up the initiative you can blockbet/fold if you think he can play AT KT QT JT that way, especially if you were willing to call a $2 bet from him anyway, it's much better to bet that yourself and fold to a raise.

I also don't mind check/folding, since i don't think he'll bet one pair Tx hands there.

Hope it helps.