UTG+2 ($24.99)
      MP1 ($28.50)
      Hero ($25)
      BTN ($9.48)

Dealt to Hero 2:diamond: 2:spade:

fold, fold, UTG+2 raises to $1, fold, Hero calls $1, fold, fold, fold

FLOP ($2.35) 4:spade: 4:heart: 3:spade:

UTG+2 checks, Hero bets $1.75, UTG+2 raises to $4, Hero folds

On flop this was kinda strange, that he checked to me, but I decided to bet, and he insta raised me. With what hands he would do this- overpairs- I'm not sure why? Overcards with FD? From one hand its a minraise, but what else I could do here?
  • 3 replies
    • Gerv
      You are beat here, instant = mostly strenght or at least a hand that beats you through equity

Stay focused and fold, it just ain't worth it to pay for showdown!
    • jenoc
      I agree with you, Gerv, but still its interesting why did he played this way- according to stats he must be somewhat solid, and why a regular would give a free card on such board to a PFR caller? Lol, maybe I'm to exploitable and he just knew that I'm betting if he checks and this way wanted to extract more value?
    • MaestroOfZerg

I'd also stab there, there is still a good chance that he is just check/folding since he can't expect you to fold much of what you called him with, and your 22 risk getting outdraw by any card on later streets.

As for why he did that i have no idea, he's probably just tired of getting folds with his big pairs all the time, given how nitty his UTG range is, so he figures he'll at least give you a chance to get caught up in the pot. Or he had flushdraw + overcards and doesn't want to bet/3bet it on a paired board, since it's likely you would raise all your decent pocket pairs there.

Hope it helps.