This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL50 SH T9s bluff

• MatiKosa
      MatiKosa
      Global
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU(Hero):
      $64.00
      SB:
      $18.25
      BB:
      $61.75
      MP2:
      $54.55
      MP3:
      $50.00
      CO:
      $55.70

Preflop: Hero is BU with T, 9.
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $1.75, CO folds, Hero calls $1.75, 2 folds.

Flop: ($4.25) K, 2, 4 (2 players)
      MP3 bets $3.00, Hero calls $3.00.

Turn: ($10.25) 3 (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $7.00, MP3 calls $7.00.

River: ($24.25) 8 (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $16.00, MP3 calls $16.00.

Final Pot: $56.25.
      Results follow:

MP3 shows a pair of kings(Q K).
      Hero shows high card king(T 9).

MP3 wins with a pair of kings(Q K).

MP3: 12.16/6.08/2.00/13.33/100.00/148 (VP/PR/AF/WT/W$/Hands)

I posted results, because it's obvious that I am busted by everything which can call me here.

Not many hands on my opponent, but he seems to be nitty. I called his c-bet because of FD and gutshot straight draw for 65. Gutshot completes on turn and he checks, showing weakness, so I start my float here, but he calls.

On the river comes another great card for great bluff, my opponent checks and this is the only option to win this pot - so I bet 2/3 pot. He was waiting with decision 15 seconds, then requested for time (another 15 secs left). 5, 4 (here I thought he would time out), 3, 2, 1.... and call. How the f^ck he could call here? Anyway, good decision in this spot against this player?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

The only problem imo is the float in the first place. That guy is a nit in all senses of the term, he's playing 12/6 which is way too low for a SH reg tag, he has an AF of 2 which isn't that high for a guy that tight, he seldom goes to showdown, his cbet% probably isn't very high either. That makes his range there somewhat strong, so I usually don't mess around with these guys too much, especially if i don't plan on raising them somewhere along the way.

They rarely play a hand, but when they do, they usually have the goods, and because they're bored, they find it hard to let go off anything unless presented with extreme aggression, which basically means a raise. To counter that, they naturally take pot control lines that prevent them from getting raised off their hands often, which is why you'll even see these guys start check/calling AA on that turn.

That means once they "show weakness", it's not really weakness, their turn checking range is a lot stronger than you would expect, you'll very often have to put in two bets to maybe take them off a top pair, especially if the turn isn't a dead obvious draw completing card (and here it isn't, most people won't give you A5 or 65 in that spot, but they'll give you the flush if a spade hits).

Long story short, i don't like it against that guy to begin with, especially on a non-spade turn. Once you decide to make that float i think your line is fine, i'd probably make it $18 on the river tho, it just looks stronger.

Hope it helps.