[NL20-NL50] NL50 SH T9s bluff

• MatiKosa
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is BU with T, 9.
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $1.75, CO folds, Hero calls $1.75, 2 folds.

Flop: ($4.25) K, 2, 4 (2 players)
      MP3 bets $3.00, Hero calls $3.00.

Turn: ($10.25) 3 (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $7.00, MP3 calls $7.00.

River: ($24.25) 8 (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero bets $16.00, MP3 calls $16.00.

Final Pot: $56.25.
      Results follow:

MP3 shows a pair of kings(Q K).
      Hero shows high card king(T 9).

MP3 wins with a pair of kings(Q K).

MP3: 12.16/6.08/2.00/13.33/100.00/148 (VP/PR/AF/WT/W$/Hands)

I posted results, because it's obvious that I am busted by everything which can call me here.

Not many hands on my opponent, but he seems to be nitty. I called his c-bet because of FD and gutshot straight draw for 65. Gutshot completes on turn and he checks, showing weakness, so I start my float here, but he calls.

On the river comes another great card for great bluff, my opponent checks and this is the only option to win this pot - so I bet 2/3 pot. He was waiting with decision 15 seconds, then requested for time (another 15 secs left). 5, 4 (here I thought he would time out), 3, 2, 1.... and call. How the f^ck he could call here? Anyway, good decision in this spot against this player?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

The only problem imo is the float in the first place. That guy is a nit in all senses of the term, he's playing 12/6 which is way too low for a SH reg tag, he has an AF of 2 which isn't that high for a guy that tight, he seldom goes to showdown, his cbet% probably isn't very high either. That makes his range there somewhat strong, so I usually don't mess around with these guys too much, especially if i don't plan on raising them somewhere along the way.

They rarely play a hand, but when they do, they usually have the goods, and because they're bored, they find it hard to let go off anything unless presented with extreme aggression, which basically means a raise. To counter that, they naturally take pot control lines that prevent them from getting raised off their hands often, which is why you'll even see these guys start check/calling AA on that turn.

That means once they "show weakness", it's not really weakness, their turn checking range is a lot stronger than you would expect, you'll very often have to put in two bets to maybe take them off a top pair, especially if the turn isn't a dead obvious draw completing card (and here it isn't, most people won't give you A5 or 65 in that spot, but they'll give you the flush if a spade hits).

Long story short, i don't like it against that guy to begin with, especially on a non-spade turn. Once you decide to make that float i think your line is fine, i'd probably make it $18 on the river tho, it just looks stronger.

Hope it helps.