$26.50
      UTG2:
      $10.50
      MP1:
      $5.75
      MP2(Hero):
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q, A.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, 2 folds, BU calls $2.00, 2 folds.

Flop: ($4.75) 7, 7, 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.50, BU raises to $8.00, Hero calls $5.50(All-In).

Turn: ($20.75) 8 (2 players)

River: ($20.75) A (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.75.

Shuld I give up on the flop reraise?

Opp vp/prf 15/5 AF2
  • 8 replies
    • goldflair03
      goldflair03
      Bronze
      fold-to-c-bet/ raise-cbet-stats?
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      In Laymans terms

70 - 80% fold to cbet I b/f. (People that weak will realise they can't rep anything and will only shove PP's)

<=50% fold to cbet, either C/shove or B/C

Anywhere inbetween I look for some other factor to help me make my decision.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey RahXephon1,

standard line would be bet/fold flop.

If you however have big sample size and can use postflop statistics in this hand then you can decide what's the best line according to this opponent. The stats you might take a look at are Fold2c-bet, Raise2c-bet, BetVsMissedC-bet, ColdCall(preflop).

High fold2c-bet -> bet/fold flop

High raise2c-bet -> bet/call flop

High bet vs missed c-bet -> check/shove flop

That's more of a guideline, when you look at his stats you should then decide what's most appropriate.

Regards,
      burek2000
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      I knew I was beat here, but I just can't seem to let go in spots like this. For me check raise or reraise always means villain is bluffing and i just give my money.

For the record, villain had TT.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      RahXephon, what might help you with giving up to flopraises easier is to realise that a lot of villains can C/Raise for value too!

Imagine the scenario, you have a shortstack steal you and you have AA. how do you get his money? Well, we know he always cbets so we can simply call preflop and Checkraise flop to get his money in. Simple! On top of that he might know that some shorties have a hard time letting go of their hands as they play so few so they call flopraises too eagerly.

Did that help?
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      @ DaPhunk;

Interesting observation. Pretending we are a bss player for a moment, would you say this is a better play with AA vs a sss stealer - i.e. better than 3 betting pf, that is?

I ask because normally we are advised not to slow play our big hands pf, since we otherwise allow players with drawing hands to see the flop too cheaply. Is the point that, as a bss player we would assume - rightly in 99% of cases - that an sss player won't be raising with a 'drawing hand' and that in all likelyhood we'll simply have them dominated on virtually every flop?
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      Well it always works against me, I have betted on the flop and turn against aces a million times.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      @RehXaphon1 - Lol, did you take notes on villains about how they play their Aces? Can you exclude AA from their re-stealing range sometimes?

@Tim64 - I think of it in terms of stack sizes as well as hand ranges here Tim. Slowplaying against a bigstack would be horrible as we give up so much of our hand-strength where we know that we are ahead. We don't fear the shortstack as he goes in very easily with TP etc. As you said he doesn't often play drawing hands either.

However, if we are up purely against shortstacks who fold way too much to 3bets pf (especially if they steal too wide) we might actually get more value out seeing the flop and getting at least their guaranteed cbet possibly their whole stack if they have a pair given that some SS players are very stubborn in blindbattles.

If you are SB though and BB is a Fullstack, unless you know he is aggressive it can be better to 3bet, it can get uncomfortable if he calls and you see an ugly board. However, if he's aggressive or is a SS you may even be able to induce a Squeeze this way.

I personally never coldcall AA or KK preflop though, I keep those hands very much in my 3bet / resteal range. I think its easier that way balancing wise also, I don't know what is a better value-line but what I say though can be used as an argument for adjusting to multitabling shortstacks who never take notes :D (I made the argument as if you are in the blinds though)