Building a bankroll

• Cease
      Cease
      Bronze
      All,

Being new to PokerStragety and fairly new to poker I'm trying to build my bankroll off the $50 bonus.

I've been playing in a $1 + $0.20 SnG games at PS and finding it difficult to consistiently cash. I know my poker skills are not quite up to scratch ( :f_confused: ) and I have a lot to learn before I could be considered anything other than a fish. However, I have noticed in some of the videos the coaches don't seem consistiently win at these levels either.

Are these levels just too full of random play which kills a players edge, or is it possible to raise a roll here? I really enjoy playing SnG but am wondering if it would be better to build a bankroll with NL SSS and then come back to the $5+ buy ins?

Any suggestions would be great.
      Cheers,
      Cease
  • 13 replies
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      The variance is great, but bad players are your best friend. It is really infuriating when they crack your aces with JTo, but just remember the times when they will go broke with middle pair against your top set. The rake eats a lot of your winnings, but the games are beatable.
    • Raisolution
      Raisolution
      Bronze
      1$ sng's are beatable, it's not that hard. The fishes don't understand ICM and play loose in the early phase. Just follow the articles and the charts and practice ICM trainer :f_biggrin:

Good luck!
    • Bender93
      Bender93
      Bronze
      Maybe you should try 2+0.20 HU SNGs.
      I used to play 9 person $1 SNG when i started and i want down to $8,and then got like $160 in 3 weeks
      only by playing FL HU SNGs.
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Swings are huuuge ni SnG, I had yesterday 25 games without any cash.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Heffron89
      Swings are huuuge ni SnG, I had yesterday 25 games without any cash.
      especially if you are playing Turbo's . its common to see 25-40Bi swings.

imo. the best way to beat variance is to learn how to multi-table more and more.
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      Like has been said learn to multi table and more importantly download and practice ICM trainer.
    • Cease
      Cease
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advide all!

I'm certainly going to look more into ICM and traing using the ICM Trainer, and maybe some other tools. Also going to reread the strategy articles a few more times, I have already found them really useful.

I'm currently playing only 2 tables at once, I want to get the strategy right before I move on to 16+ :f_o:

Cheers,
      Cease
    • IcMean
      IcMean
      Bronze
      Ive been trying some SnG lately but I always end up being the short stack because those charts are so tight and I almost never get the good starting hands.. I have a feeling those charts are a bit to tight or is it normal that I will be the short stack because of playing as the charts say?
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      beating low stakes at begining is realy tought... but unnecesery to gain a lot of skills needed to beat higher stakes..
    • Federx
      Federx
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IcMean
      Ive been trying some SnG lately but I always end up being the short stack because those charts are so tight and I almost never get the good starting hands.. I have a feeling those charts are a bit to tight or is it normal that I will be the short stack because of playing as the charts say?
      the charts are even a bit too loose for microlimits imo.
      ur not supposed to build a stack in the beginning but rather make good push/fold decisions when u (or every opponent to your left when folded to you) have 10-15bb.
      at least i know i'm not unhappy at all when i don't play a single hand till 50/100 and then double up from someone calling my 13bb push with J9o :D

the best advice i can give u is to spend time with the icm trainer and think the reasons behind the decisions.
    • IcMean
      IcMean
      Bronze
      So you think its ok to go into push or fold as short stack?

Then my disappointment is probably due to some bad beats :) I had one KK vs QQ, right before getting in the money and there was a Q on the river >_>

Thnx for the reply
    • zhenzhenZHEN
      zhenzhenZHEN
      Bronze
      I actually like reaching 60/120 blinds with ~1200 chips
    • gearoi
      gearoi
      Bronze
      Yep it seems to me (in my very short career so far) that the charts just get you to the bubble, it's the middle game decisions that affect whether or not you manage to win...

There tends to be some early game donkeys who double up and then push you about later with their big stacks. If you manage to double up yourself it's way easier on the nerves, but it's rare to double up. Most of the time you just end up with 1200 then realise it's middle game, need to find a hand to push with...

That's how I've found it anyhow.

Gear