Standard lines against one oponent

• Bogdan1190
      Quate: "There was no pre-flop raiser
      You are out of position

You always bet! Your cards are irrelevant. The opponent must fold only 1/3 times in order to make this play profitable.

If the opponent calls your bet, then ...

* ... You can bet again on the Turn with a made hand or a Draw.
      * ... You can abandon the hand if it has no value. You play check/fold, that is, check and then fold to any bets.

If the opponent raises the flop, then...

* ... You raise again with a good made hand or a strong draw.
      * ... Fold with any other hand."
      what does a good made hand mean ? two pair or better ? what do you do with an over pair or a top pair if you get reraised on the flop ? you cap or call ?
      i took the text from standard lines against one oponent.
  • 2 replies
      You have posted some good questions.

In this case, say nobody raised preflop, you are in the BB, and the BU limps and you check.

You lead out, and you are raised.....

Top pair is good enough to bet again, even mid pair can be good enough if it looks like he is betting on a draw...

It depends on what the board is.. because he is not raising preflop, it is unlikely for him to be holding broadways etc etc
      so you look at the flop, and think about what he would limp preflop, and how it could hit him....

As to the overpair question same thing...

you are out of position, so you fire a bet he raises and then you raise again... it is up to him to cap....

and if he does yes you call with your overpair.

*EDIT: I think it would be rare to find yourself in a heads up situation on a flop with no raise preflop if you have an overpair.....
      I will have to look it over but I am pretty sure over over 1 limper you would be raising with like 66+....
    • cubbybri
      This where the line between following a set strategy and making some of your own decisions comes in.

You need to look at your hand, the board and your opponent.

Things to look at, board. Is it drawy or dry.

You hand, am I likely still ahead, or am I behind, do I have outs.

You opponent, does he bluff, does he fold a lot on the turn or river, is he agro or pasive usually, does he go to showdown a lot or a little, what does he usually have when raising on the turn(always a great hand, a medium hand, all draws).

So the bright side is that you are now at a point where you can start using your experience and brain power to make some choices in your play. Since you are asking this question, you should be ready for that now.

It's tough at first to look at everything so it is sometimes nice to say, 'I have an overpair and was raised on the flop so I should 3bet,' but situations may not always be standard. Use what you know and see if everything feels like a standard sitaution. I think there is a flow chart that is in silver that helps with the thought process for standard play. SO use that but keep an eye for the non standard.

example.. I have OP and a passive rock raises you on the flop. Are you ahead? This is where experience comes in, you may now just want to call down if he only raises with better than an overpair or if he is a rock that wakes up anytime he has tptk, a 3bet may be appropriate. If no reads except he hasn't raised often, you may still 3 bet or depending on the board, wait for the turn to decide the best way to go.

Long winded for answering... it depends :P