Known players:
      Hero:
      $7,05
      MP3:
      $2,50
      BU:
      $6,31

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.68 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T:spade: , T:club:
      UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $0,20, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0,20, CO folds, BU raises to $0,60, 2 folds, Hero calls $0,40, MP3 folds.

Flop: ($1,47) Q:spade: , 4:club: , A:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($1,47) 2:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $1,00, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1,47

I called preflop for set value.
  • 4 replies
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      You're calling 40c to potentially win $6.31. That's around 16:1 implied odds and usually you wanna get 20:1 out of position. If you're in position, like you're on the button and villain would re-raise you from the blinds, then I would call this to. Out of position I wouldn't play pairs for set value vs 3 bets.

Set value: call20:1 oop & call10:1 ip. Is the general rule you should go with on 10NL & lower.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Mstlc
      You're calling 40c to potentially win $6.31. That's around 16:1 implied odds and usually you wanna get 20:1 out of position. If you're in position, like you're on the button and villain would re-raise you from the blinds, then I would call this to. Out of position I wouldn't play pairs for set value vs 3 bets.

Set value: call20:1 oop & call10:1 ip. Is the general rule you should go with on 10NL & lower.
      `+1
      although I´d call here, since sometimes you might have better hand and you can get your hand to showdown.
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      Calling 3bets with medium to low PPs for set value is interesting. You can calculate bigger implieds there usually - they can have QQ, KK , AA there and if you hit your set, you can probably stack him. I usually call with 10:1 odds in these spots. Is this play OK?
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kosmonaut111
      Calling 3bets with medium to low PPs for set value is interesting. You can calculate bigger implieds there usually - they can have QQ, KK , AA there and if you hit your set, you can probably stack him. I usually call with 10:1 odds in these spots. Is this play OK?
      People 3bet AK & AQ to... and if the don't hit they will not stack you off. In adition decent players will play pot control with TPTK on a dry board in position. Also... if the flop comes Axx a lot of people are not gonna stack you off with Queens & Kings either.

You only hit 1:8 times and you also have to take set over set occasions into account...
      Playing pp's for setvalue out of position with call10 really is -EV in the long run. Even in position call10 really is very close and you gotta have a good read that people's 3bet ranges are really tight otherwise they won't stack you often enough.