This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 TT set value

• Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Hero:
      $7,05
      MP3:
      $2,50
      BU:
      $6,31

0,02/0,05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.68 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T:spade: , T:club:
      UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $0,20, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0,20, CO folds, BU raises to $0,60, 2 folds, Hero calls $0,40, MP3 folds.

Flop: ($1,47) Q:spade: , 4:club: , A:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($1,47) 2:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $1,00, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1,47

I called preflop for set value.
  • 4 replies
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      You're calling 40c to potentially win $6.31. That's around 16:1 implied odds and usually you wanna get 20:1 out of position. If you're in position, like you're on the button and villain would re-raise you from the blinds, then I would call this to. Out of position I wouldn't play pairs for set value vs 3 bets.

Set value: call20:1 oop & call10:1 ip. Is the general rule you should go with on 10NL & lower.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Mstlc
      You're calling 40c to potentially win $6.31. That's around 16:1 implied odds and usually you wanna get 20:1 out of position. If you're in position, like you're on the button and villain would re-raise you from the blinds, then I would call this to. Out of position I wouldn't play pairs for set value vs 3 bets.

Set value: call20:1 oop & call10:1 ip. Is the general rule you should go with on 10NL & lower.
      `+1
      although I´d call here, since sometimes you might have better hand and you can get your hand to showdown.
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      Calling 3bets with medium to low PPs for set value is interesting. You can calculate bigger implieds there usually - they can have QQ, KK , AA there and if you hit your set, you can probably stack him. I usually call with 10:1 odds in these spots. Is this play OK?
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kosmonaut111
      Calling 3bets with medium to low PPs for set value is interesting. You can calculate bigger implieds there usually - they can have QQ, KK , AA there and if you hit your set, you can probably stack him. I usually call with 10:1 odds in these spots. Is this play OK?
      People 3bet AK & AQ to... and if the don't hit they will not stack you off. In adition decent players will play pot control with TPTK on a dry board in position. Also... if the flop comes Axx a lot of people are not gonna stack you off with Queens & Kings either.

You only hit 1:8 times and you also have to take set over set occasions into account...
      Playing pp's for setvalue out of position with call10 really is -EV in the long run. Even in position call10 really is very close and you gotta have a good read that people's 3bet ranges are really tight otherwise they won't stack you often enough.