PokerStars horror flick

• poger8
      poger8
      Silver
      Hi guys. Just cannot resist to describe what happened with me on 2 last sessions on Pokerstars. Probably you see some of this scary scenes before, but the combination of them makes it someway specific. And it does not include simple annoyances like AA lost to KJ or AK to AQ. Also I may miss some minor details, and no flushes were involved.

Based on real events on NL10 on PokerStars.

Episode 1. In one evening I got KK three times. Two times collect only blinds, on 3rd time was beaten by Ax. These Kings are really weak.

Episode 2. In other evening I got 2 times QQ vs AK, and once AK vs QQ. Lost all three. No matter what side of the door you stay, villain is the winner!

Episode 3. Rather trivial except for small detail. Villains become 2. Villain1 in early position calls 10c, Hero in MP with JJ raises, Villain2 on BU re-raises. Villain1 all-in, Hero calls all-in (yes Heroes make mistakes sometimes :f_eek: ), Villain2 calls. Showdown - both Villains show AA :f_o: How did I pray to get a Jack - imagine 3 jacks beat 4 Aces! Not in this movie.

Episode 4. Hero on BU with AJ. Three callers for 30c, Hero also call. 4 in pot.
      Flop KQT. Hero got straight nuts. Suddenly serious betting arises, Hero of course is all-in. Freedoms seems close, but
      Turn K. Betting continues without Hero, and he's doomed already.
      River like 5. All is gone to Villain with KQ.

Episode 5. Hero is BB with J9. Two callers, Hero checks.
      Flop 865. Not bad you say. Check-check-check.
      Turn 7. Again straight nuts for Hero. Small bet of 20c suddenly was heavily contested, Hero goes all-in on $3.
      River 9. Oops. On showdown one guy showed something like 46 (lower straight), another 57(2 pair). Hero gets his $3 back instead of well deserved $9.
      You may say: Hey, there might be 5 or 7 for more scare? Wait a sec, this episode is not done.
      Next play: Hero with $3 in on SB with 99 (oh those nines). Everybody folds, Hero raises to be called by BB.
      Flop QQ8. Hero raises, villain calls
      Turn Q. Hero raises, Villain re-raises, Hero all-in, Villain calls. Villain shows KQ. :f_eek: This river won't help Hero for sure....

You may ask: But where is the real sudden twist, this bloody-freezing final scene? Here we are:
      Episode 6. Villain in MP raises 20c, Hero on BU with KQ calls.
      Flop KQ6. Villain raises, Hero all-in, villain calls. Villain shows AK.
      Turn A. Here I come, ready or not.
      River Q. River queen pushes the Hero form disaster to the rising sun :)

So continue to play poker, and try to have a smile even in scary moments!
  • 83 replies
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      If you want to play poker you will need to get used to this happening on a daily basis. Just today my KK got cracked 7 times by non poket pairs, it doesnt bother me while playing i may give the occasional head shake but thats it, Ive bad beat people many times its apart of poker
    • Gafny
      Gafny
      Bronze
      i smell russian hackers ...
    • poger8
      poger8
      Silver
      Hackers or no - but all these sad stories happened basically inside few hundred hands, and I found it quite entertaining, especially for my short online experience. And don't forget about happy ending :D
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Dude, I lost 200 bb on NL50 in 700 hands with the SSS. It's ok, shit happens. Move on.
    • poger8
      poger8
      Silver
      Still no much favors from ladies. In one session on 2 tables at the same time got QQ. In both go all-in, in both saw K immediately on the flop, in one lost to KQ, in another to AK. Then of course also lost AK to AQ and then to QQ, and finally double-stack AA to QQ on the river. Girls, why don't you like me =)
      Rather interesting situation, I'm with 99 in BB, before flop three people have bets > my stack, decided to play a lottery for a set and also go all-in. When 3 of 4 people go all-in see following picture: AA vs QQ vs my 99 vs 88. Guess who won? Guy with ladies got one more on the river.
    • soonish
      soonish
      Bronze
      bla bla bla.....
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac
      If you want to play poker you will need to get used to this happening on a daily basis. Just today my KK got cracked 7 times by non poket pairs, it doesnt bother me while playing i may give the occasional head shake but thats it, Ive bad beat people many times its apart of poker
      THIS!

whats the point of these threads, when u started play poker u know it's luck involved did you OP?

A friendly tip. Get used to this asap!
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      whats the point of these threads

Erm...I'm just guessing, but maybe it's to populate a forum entitled "Downswing Reports"?

Were you hoping to read about post-flop play with suited connectors, or something?
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      i'm sorry to say this but all too often half of these 'bad beats' are the result of mostly poor preflop play and sometimes postflop play (looking at how you played 99)
    • poger8
      poger8
      Silver
      After last 2 sessions I can tell you what downswing is. When you got KK, QQ, AK, even AA and go all-in on preflop, your first thought is 'Noooo, will lose again'.
    • poger8
      poger8
      Silver
      4 lost sessions in a row. PokerStars is consistently persistent or maybe persistently consistent. But yesterday's record is hard to beat. In 5 CONSECUTIVE times I went all-in having clear to huge advantage, lost all 5 stacks:
      1. TT < 55 (set)
      2. KK < JJ(set) <AK(straight). Nice, would lose to any of them anyway.
      3. AQ (all-in after getting A on the flop) < QQ (set). Villain has 1 to 44 chance, and still got his queen on the turn already.
      4. QQ < 77 (set)
      5. QQ < 9To (straight). Oh those ladies...
      The only positive sign was that I never lost AA. Because didn't get any :f_biggrin:
      Tell me what articles/books to read for winning in such situations.
    • poger8
      poger8
      Silver
      Yesterday I played 2 sessions, and the first was 5th losing. Not very much, but has 2 interesting details: Aces and play that blew my mind :)
      Got AA 4 times. No I don't lose any, but saw flop only once, and even then villain folded, so for all 4 collected ~14BB. Still in plus :)
      Next action was the last straw that break both my mind and this downswing. I've just lost usual AK vs a pair coinflip.
      Hero is BU with KJs. Got one limper in MP, decided to raise to steal blinds. Blinds folded, but limper called.
      Flop KJ8. No flush draw but strong 2 pair. Check- I raise - limper call.
      Turn 4. Limper makes a move, I go all-in, limper call. I expect everything, even 44, but limper shows K4. Easy win you say.
      River 4.

Best scene in this flick. I was really enraged, said many many bad words and turn off my PC. Watch TV and have a pair of drinks. Next session was another story, so this (I hope) is the end of this downswing and this topic too.
      Thanks for attention and good luck!
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Hi Poger,

This sucks bigtime - I feel for you. One point though;

If you run equilator on this hand:

3. AQ (all-in after getting A on the flop) < QQ (set). Villain has 1 to 44 chance, and still got his queen on the turn already.

You'll see that you were a big underdog vs QQ preflop (only 31% equity). Basically you have to hit an Ace to win the hand. If you turn it round and imagine you had QQ and villain had AQ, you'd be pretty annoyed if you lost the hand because villain hit one of his 4 Ace outs on the flop...

Anyway best of luck - let's hope we both recover soon.
      Tim
    • shortfuse
      shortfuse
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tim64
      Hi Poger,

This sucks bigtime - I feel for you. One point though;

If you run equilator on this hand:

You'll see that you were a big underdog vs QQ preflop (only 31% equity). Basically you have to hit an Ace to win the hand. If you turn it round and imagine you had QQ and villain had AQ, you'd be pretty annoyed if you lost the hand because villain hit one of his 4 Ace outs on the flop...

Anyway best of luck - let's hope we both recover soon.
      Tim
      shouldnt that be 1 out of 3 outs since we already hold an ace?

and if i had QQ in this situation i would not be annoyed, rather mad at the bad call with a scarecard on flop. But... i do not know whole situation.
    • poger8
      poger8
      Silver
      I know that AQ is weaker than QQ, but as I said, being in position initially I just called and went all-in AFTER Ace on the flop, when the situation became an enormous advantage for me, especially with AQ - only one Q left, but guy snatched it immediately. If I'd be against AK or guy got trips, I wouldn't treat this case as bad bad beat. But when after all-in I saw his ladies, I thought the deal is done. Not on that special day. In fact I had
      even more losses like that, but 5 in a row seems like a real downswing.

Also QQ is a special hand, when you often get K or A or even both on the flop, and still often push your ladies - just cannot fold them. As I wrote before once I had them on 2 tables at the same time, on both got K on the flop, and lose both. So I always ready to lose with them :)

Also with AK, probably half of times I'm just collecting blinds or blinds with limpers. But If it goes to the battle, seems that I lose much more coinflips than win.

Anyway thanks for support and good luck for you and all fellow players!
    • poger8
      poger8
      Silver
      Horror flick finished, but Pokerstars still continue amazing me. Some rather funny facts from yesterday's session:
      1, Lost 3 stacks to one calling station, including TT to 77. Guy either had a pair against my AK or get help from PS.
      2. Instead got 2 quads. One from limped pair when I got something from opps. Other got on freeplay, getting one more T on the flop and then runner+ runner (probability only for latest 1:1080). In reward got 1BB.
      Also collect full house from the flop on freeplay (had A4 got A44). Result again was 1BB. 2 big blinds for 2 supamonsters :)
      3. 6 times plays AK vs a smaller pair. 3 times had a pair and 3 times AK. My record 50%. AK record 0 from 6 (0%).
      4. Case of 3 pairs. Got AA, make a standard raise got 2 callers.
      Flop J87 all diamong, that I don't have. Made a push but it was late already. One opp folded, other showed J8 - 2 pairs. Still better than flush or straight.
      Turn 2 non-diamond, so no flush on board.
      River 7
      Initially I thought I lost (no Ace), but when money starts moving my way, I realized I also got 2 pairs, and my Aces look better. So my opp effectively got 3 pairs, but that third pair was a killer rather than helper!
    • poger8
      poger8
      Silver
      Second day in a row have no support for Ace hands. AK, AQ, AJ, AT got no improvement, and often villains got something (or had something) so most of my c-bets were called or re-raised, and I was losing either stacks or half-stacks. Villains even collected 2 quads against me, when just original pair was enough. Only two wins on showdown, one is for AK vs AT, and in another I collected King quads (maybe my best hand ever) to my AK. And again, when PS rarely rewards me, it does this in style or
      Case of improved full house:
      Got KK, go all-in.
      Flop K74
      Turn 4 A boat.
      River 7 :f_biggrin:
    • poger8
      poger8
      Silver
      Last few days I play in small to medium minus. It's not a downswing, and sometimes my losses are partially my mistakes, but
      People stop playing when I have good hands. One session I had KK 5 times - 4 times collecting blinds, and 5th time ran again into AA :) Aces, queens, jacks - and only blinds - maybe in 4/5 cases. You may say they know me. But I usually make a standard raise, and when I have hands like AQ or AJ or 99 or 77 people respond more actively. Especially 99 - like they feel it, and mostly win over it. And still very little support for Ax hands. And it's just boring...
    • poger8
      poger8
      Silver
      I know it's a boring story, but still want to share it with you. It may look interesting in context of both bad beats and popular topic about poker rooms rigged to keep fish winning.

So, Hunting for a fish or maybe Battle of fishes.

On one table I see a guy playing loosely, but still keeping stack afloat. Let's call him Villain.
      With enhanced stack I got KK, went against him all-in, with hand like Q8s, he collected flush on turn.
      Damn! I added double stack and start waiting. Finally got TPTK with kings again, the guy was there, and you know what - Villain again collected runner-runner flush on the river with 4th suited card he needed X(
      Previously I'd probably say few bad words and close this table. Not yesterday! I add double stack again, and start waiting, adding few blinds in process. Finally on small call on BB for QJ I got QQ+ on board (Lucky fish :f_biggrin: ). I don't like slowplay, can't remember how many times I lost full stack on it or still got pennies, but this time I checked. Villain ate the bait, raise-reraise, I'm all-in - and got my double stack back.
      Now we have similar stacks. But no "happy" ending for me X(
      In few games Villain went all-in and showed 44 against OtherGuy's JJ.
      Flop - doesn't matter.
      Turn - 4.
      River - J.
      Villain still had few dollars left, but he rushed from the table. Good guy - as people say: Dollar saved is the same as dollar earned. So my revenge was not done (still lost first stack for him), but now I will be even more sceptical about 'rigged' stories =)