6-handed strategy

• tellef2307
      tellef2307
      Bronze
      Hi all

I have started playing some 6-handed sng's and my quistion is what strategy do you guys use and have do you adapt from the 9-handed chart. Wich hands do you raise with pre flop and what is your main strategy? Tight till the bubble or aggresive from the begining of? And do you play a lot more of those speculative hands? Should you limp suited conectors or raise them?

Cheers
      Tellef
  • 2 replies
    • Anssi
      Anssi
      Black
      I'd like to see a lot of 6-handed sng material :) Not at the expense of 9/10-handed, though :P
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      I used to play 'm, they require some strategy adeptations.

Ofcourse the general rule "tight early, loosen up when blinds increase" is still valid.

My two cents:

- adapt to the blind pressure. You pay the blinds more often, so you have to steal more often. From the third blindlevel onwards you should openraise looser from the button. Try to focus on hands that play well postflop: pocket pairs, connected cards, SC, suited hands with decent facecard (like Q7s), ...

Remember: 78s plays easier postflop then A2o.

Postflop play and game dynamic are more important in 6max. The other players will start to play back at you when you start stealing loose, so you have to know how to adapt. If you play it right your edge is still huge, because (definatly in the low buy-ins) your opponents will start making big mistakes.

- adapt to the payout structure. Payout in 6max is 70/30 (on Ipoker, not sure about other platforms), so 1st place is a LOT better then 2nd place. This means you should take more risk when on the bubble or even when you are 4handed.

And here comes the beauty of sng's: there is software that calculates how much risk you can take. It's pure ICM. Just remember to adapt if you're used to playing 9-10 handed.

And for final tip: check out this site: http://www.sixhanded.com/

You should look around on the internet a little, because pokerstrategy has little to none information about this variant.

And for final final tip: play 9-10 handed :tongue:
      It's easier, youre edge is a little bit smaller (if you know how to play 6max that is), but you get into less tough spots and you can play way more tables.